chapter 16

Madison Marshall POV

I'm wide awake lying in bed right now. It's about four o'clock, but there's no hope in sleeping. I don't know what's wrong with me. Over these past couple of days, I keep forgetting things and have no recollection of the things even happening. I know it's not a seizure because Cameron and Alyssa have been with me most of the time and they would have known. I also can't sleep at night. It's weird but my sleep cycle is all messed up leaving me awake at night. Something is not right.

"You need to sleep." I hear a whisper. "I can hear you tossing and turning."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." I turn over to Cam. "Go back to sleep."

"You know I am a light sleeper and I can't sleep if you are up. You need sleep."

"I will."

"You are a shit liar. You haven't gotten a full night's rest in days. I hear you getting up and going to the balcony most of the time. It's not healthy. Is anything keeping you up?"

"I'm not having a conversation this early in the morning." I try to end it, but soon I feel feet shuffle, the bed shift, and arms wrap around me.

"Okay no more talking. Take some deep breaths and feel my inhalations and exhalations." She says which oddly does its job as I feel my eyes go heavy.

............

We have team bonding in one of the conference rooms right now before training tonight. When I arrive at the room, I can see a few early birds waiting around as well as a lot of yoga mats on the ground. Oh, this should be relaxing I think. As everyone makes their way in, Dawn takes charge.

"Okay, listen up people. This is Jessica." Dawn points to a middle aged dark skin woman next to her. "She is here to lead a yoga exercise with you guys. Please be respectful and hold off on your childish behaviour I know some of you have."

"Dawn, what are you talking about? We are grown ass adults." Sonnet shouts from across the room.

"You are one of the people I am talking about, Sonnet." Dawn smirks. "Behave and enjoy. I will be here to watch and monitor."

"More like babysitting." I involuntarily blurt out and all eyes turn to me. "Sorry, it slipped. Won't happen again." I make a motion zipping my lips and throwing the lock away. I see Dawn shaking her head and chuckling but she doesn't say anything.

Soon Jessica, the instructor, begins and we do multiple different poses. There are some people who struggle with the poses, especially the stiffer players.

"Okay, now I want you all to lay in a comfortable position." Jessica says. "I am going to play some music and just focus on your breath."

The music that she plays is so soothing. There's an instrument and sounds from nature intertwined. As I focus on my breath, I end up counting them. I don't know how long I count for as I am overtaken by sleep. You know when you are asleep but still aware of everything going on? That's what's happening now.

I hear a phone taking photos and someone's presence near me.

"Shhh, she has been having trouble sleeping at night. Let her be, Mal." I hear Cam say.

"But she always messes with me when I try to nap."

"No, Mal. I'm serious." Cam says in a tone that must have scared Mal as I don't hear her argue back.

"You want me to take her to your room?" I can make out Ash's voice.

"If you don't mind. I really don't want to wake her up." Cam replies.

I feel arms lift me up and I stir awake, "Shh, Madi. Go back to sleep." Ash says and I close my eyes, not having the energy.

Cameron Santiago POV

"I worry for her." I tell Ash as we lay Madison in bed.

"Why so?" We make our way to the balcony.

"She's strong and resilient."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Ash tilts her head questioning my sentence.

"Yes, but it scares me. She won't ask for help or bother anybody if something is worrying her. She's too independent, and she's only 17."

Ash nods to my words. "Is there a reason why she's like that?"

I nod and open my mouth to speak but shut it quickly knowing nobody other than me knows about her home life and medical condition. "She just has my heart. I feel like I need to look out for her."

"But that's not your job. She has a family to look out for her and you need to look out for herself." I bite my tongue back at her words.

"But she saved me, Ash. I know I never told you what happened to me when I left but it got bad like super bad, Ashlyn. She saved me from myself." I tear up.

"And I can't thank her enough but you don't owe her anything."

"You aren't getting it. We looked out for each other over these past few weeks and we became sisters to each other. She just hasn't been acting like herself recently. She hasn't been sleeping and she has been forgetting things and then acting like she didn't just forget. She thinks I haven't noticed but I did. She needs someone to fall back on but she keeps to herself and hides what she doesn't want to share." I vent to Ash as she rubs my shoulder.

"I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't know you two were that close. Why don't you bring it up to her?"

"Because she shuts it down and acts as if I am crazy and overprotective."

"Does she remind you of Abigail? Is that why you want to fix her so bad?" I snap my neck up to look at Ash's eyes as she brings that name back up. I haven't heard that name in years. I proceed to shake my head.

"Madison is different. I don't know how to explain it, but Madison is beyond mature for someone her age. She can take care of herself and I know she can let loose and have fun but she always tries to cover things up with a joke or just waves things she doesn't want to listen to."

"I think she will be okay." Ash says lifting my chin to meet her gaze again. "I know you want to protect her and you can, but it's hard sometimes. You don't want her getting hurt or sad and I get that. Just keep doing what you are doing."

I nod. "Thanks for listening to me Ashy. I missed you."