Chapter 21

Kye

I wasn't expecting to be back at the fighting pits so soon, and definitely not with Val by my side, looking more annoyed that never. We came an hour early compared to the timeframe Zyair worked out, so I could talk with the two spies Lake and I met the other day.

My eyes search the room for them now, having just entered the cavernous, loud building, which will only get busier. The first fights have started, and more betters and spectators are rushing in by the minute. The stench of alcohol already permeates the air.

But I don't mind it that much. Like I've said before, there's so much life in this place. Vitality floods through everyone here.

I glance to Val, who stands at my side, surveying the place. I can barely see her face through the hood she wears. Just to be safe, an eyepatch covers her dark eye, and a mask covers the bottom half of her face. She blends right into the crowd, keeping her sword tucked into her cloak to appear less suspicious. Nobody even gives her a second look. Except me, of course. I can't seem to take my eyes off of her as she heads away from me and into the crowd.

While I talk with the Rurikans, Val will watch the door in the back, monitoring how often it is used by the spies.

As I approach the area where the tables are, I'm relieved to find that Mishal and his Royal Guard friends aren't here, for they would have had the potential to ruin our plans.

Crooked Nose and Missing Tooth sit at a table in the far corner, both holding pints of ale, but not necessarily drinking them. Crooked Nose sees me and nods, gesturing to the empty chair at the other side of the table. I slide into it, taking a deep breath and hoping that I can get a few useful answers out of them.

"Hello there, boy. Where's your friend?" Missing Tooth asks, setting his pint down.

"He wasn't able to make it tonight," I say simply, shrugging casually. One of them offers a pint to me, and I take a long swig, causing both men to chuckle.

"Tell us your name, boy," Missing Tooth states gruffly after a few moments.

"Kye. You said you wanted me to do something for you?" I question, getting straight to the point.

"Oh, forget about that," Crooked Nose says, exchanging a glance with his companion. "Did you come here alone?"

I pause for a moment. Did they see me walk in with Val? Even if they did, they couldn't have recognized her, could they? I decide to be somewhat truthful, coming up with a quick lie to go alone with it. "No. I came with a girl I met in the streets earlier." Just in case. "She invited me to come here with her, which worked out perfectly."

Missing Tooth grins. "A pretty lady and a fun night. What could be better?"

I laugh along with the two of them, still feeling slightly unnerved, even though both spies have seemed to relax.

He opens his mouth again, but I interrupt, changing the topic, an odd feeling tugging at my gut. I ask a question I know they will find unexpected. "I wanted to ask, what's in the basement here? I thought it was closed, but I noticed....people like you entering and exiting last night."

Missing Tooth raises a brow. "People like us?"

I shift in my seat uncomfortably for the next few seconds, wondering if I shouldn't have said that, but then Crooked Nose laughs. "Don't worry, boy. You know who we are, don't you?"

When I still don't answer, the man sighs. "Don't want to say it out loud, huh? Like I said, don't worry. We won't hurt you. You're on our side, if I remember correctly?"

The Blood of DarknessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara