Chapter 34

Val

It takes much too long for Quinn and I to actually start heading back to Zyair's parents' house. The owner of the stables wouldn't let us borrow any horses because Zyair hadn't yet returned with his, so we had to walk through the rain, in the opposite direction we wanted to be heading in, to a different stable near the castle. But that stable just so happened to be the one where most of the Royal Guards' horses are kept, so we had to wait for two Guards to return from their nightly shifts in order to get horses. Thankfully, they were too exhausted to ask any questions about what we were doing out so late. Or early.

At least we're finally on our way now, though it's already close to dawn. I have a horrible feeling about this, and am fairly certain that Zyair's absence has something to do with that so-called farmhand who wanted transportation across the border. The one I stabbed. Arden. We should have let him die.

"Maybe everything is fine," Quinn reasons over the patter of the rain, breaking the silence between us. "Maybe Zyair just stayed at his parents' house because of the rain or something like that." The nervous tone of her voice says otherwise though.

We're only just emerging into the more rural parts of Trivette near the border, leaving the huge urban area behind. I tug gently on my horse's reins, willing her to go faster.

"Don't go, Shadow," Icylus told me a bit ago. Why? What is going to happen that drove a God to beg me not to go?

I have two swords, a whole set of daggers, and my deadly powers of Darkness. What could the God truly believe I'm not prepared for?

"Many things, Shadow. Like your future."

Quickly, I force the voice out of my head with a small burst of Darkness. I need to focus. Right now, all that matters is the present. I can agonize over my future later.

"I have a feeling that I shouldn't have healed Arden," Quinn says after a few more minutes of silence.

"You couldn't have known," I tell her flatly. "And maybe it isn't him. Maybe everything is fine, like you said."

"Yeah," she says. "Maybe everything is fine."

Neither of us believe it though. Not in the slightest.

About a half hour passes as we ride in silence, even the rain finally stopping, leaving both Quinn and I chilled to the bone. A cold spring wind blows from the north, and the sun hasn't risen yet, so there's no warmth to beam down on us. We wouldn't be able to see anything if not for the small lantern Quinn holds.

"There!" she points out, nodding to the left, where a narrow, muddy path extends into darkness.

"We should probably get off here," I tell her, sliding off my horse. "In case we need an element of surprise."

"You're right," she says, dismounting her mare as well. I hand her one of my swords, even though she's never had much training with using one. If it comes down to it, it will be better than nothing. Hopefully, her daggers will be good enough though. Besides, I'm the one who plans on doing the killing if there's any that needs to be done.

After tying our horses to a thin tree, we head down the muddy path, trying to be as quiet as possible. I know I've said it before, but oh gods, I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe it's because an actual god basically told me so.

"Shut your lantern off," I whisper to Quinn as we get closer to the clearing where I know the small farmhouse is. She does as I say, and we're immediately swallowed in darkness. To me, it's comforting. But from the sharp breath Quinn takes in, I can tell that she feels differently.