Chapter 23

Kye

The basement is mostly dark, only a few candles scattered throughout the large room. I slink along the walls, stepping over and around old pieces of furniture, careful to be as quiet as possible. Low murmurs echo in the room as six men lazily stand guard in front of a small closet near the back. That must be where they're keeping the Gifted.

I squint, trying to discern where the door is that leads to the storm door. The muted roar of the commotion that's currently happening upstairs seeps into my brain, driving me crazy with thoughts of Val. She'll be fine, Kye. Focus.

My eyes raze across the room. There are many tables, all with papers scattered across them. Reports, maybe? I silently grab a few, shoving them into my cloak. Maybe they'll be useful.

The door I'm looking for is probably on the other side of the room, where supplies are stacked too high to open the door fast enough. Shit. The sound of me moving supplies will alert the men before I even have a chance to open the door.

Think, Kye. Think. Cheering erupts from upstairs, signifying that someone has won the fight. Please be Val.

I take a deep breath, trying to steady myself. I need to focus, or else this whole plan will fail.

My eyes scan the room, landing on one of the candles. Hmmm....

I pour every inch of my focus into the candle, until I can practically feel its flame, as if I have become connected with it. My fingers twitch, and it grows bigger, casting large, ominous shadows onto the walls. One of the spies notices, eyes widening. I crouch down, hoping that they'll be too distracted to see me in the light and hear me moving the supplies.

Two of the spies advance toward the candle, and the fire flares, nearly hitting the ceiling. Careful Kye. Don't burn the building down.

They both shrink back, cursing, and the other four men unsheathe their Lychnus swords. My fingers fumble as I move the supplies. Hurry. They'll notice you any minute now. I let the fire dim back down, hoping to hide myself in the shadows for a bit longer.

The metallic sound of more swords being drawn echos around me. "Little Ember," one of the spies croons. "Show yourself."

My heart is pounding so loud I'm sure they can heart it. Footsteps start toward me, and I shove the rest of the supply packs in that direction. There's an "oomph," then rushed footsteps. I reach for the doorknob, but freeze when a sword is pressed against my neck.

A Lychnus sword. The substance burns against my skin with a searing, sharp pain that makes me want to scream. If it punctures my skin, I'm dead. Unless...

"I wouldn't touch that doorknob if I were you, boy," says the rough, gravelly voice of the man behind me. His companions instantly surround me as well, and my mind races, weighing the risks of what I'm about to do next. 

Fuck the risks.

I reach for the doorknob, my hand closing around it, twisting, and tugging it open. The sword digs into the back of my neck, and I grit my teeth to keep from crying out. Before the sword can slice any further, I drop to the ground like a stone and punch the man in the groin. His knees buckle, and in that same moment, a sword slices his head straight off.