Chapter 8

Val

The rain is full of ghosts tonight.

Because all I can see is the past.

I don't know how long I've been standing on the roof, or when it started raining, but I don't care. All I can do is stare ahead and let my tears be swallowed by the rain and darkness as memories resurface in my mind, memories that I locked away ever since the Dark King's knife first cut my skin. "He deserved it," he said that very first day, obviously talking about Zeke. "I would have gladly gutted that Captain of the Guard if I had had the chance. Same with the princess, but I let my Personal Guard take their time with her as a reward. I was much too busy thinking about you."

I never even had a chance to mourn them. Everything happened so fast, and then I was in prison, being tortured, and all I knew was that I couldn't break. I couldn't marry him, so I had to endure, and to endure, it was so much easier to not think, to feel nothing.

Maybe that's why it's so hard now. I let myself become so close to being consumed that now I can barely hold on. I am a soldier in the war against my true self, and I am losing. But pain and grief are something, are real, and human, and the best I can do at the moment.

Memories grip me, and then I'm dancing with ghosts of the past.

Coryza's mutilated body swung back and forth on the gates, bathed in light as the sun rose behind her. Vance had dropped to his knees, his body shuddering with sobs for his younger sister. Zeke hadn't moved, his gray eyes shining with defiance. I hadn't moved either, because it felt like a vital part inside of me had just shattered, and a new, darker one was forming.

We were in the throne room, surrounded by sharp shreds of ice from the broken throne. The Dark King stood where it had been, hands behind his back, smiling. The King and Queen of Nieves had already been slaughtered, their bodies shoved against the wall like they were nothing. The room was empty except for me, Vance, Zeke, over thirty bloodthirsty Rurikan soldiers, and the dozens of other dead bodies, mostly Nieves' prestigious Royal Guards, strewn about.

Vance, Zeke, and I stood at the window, having just entered the room after being roused by screams.

"Mom. Dad. Coryza," Vance murmured. He rose shakily, glancing at me then locking eyes with Zeke.

Zeke grabbed his hand firmly. "We must be strong."

"Strong," Vance breathes, grabbing my hand as well.

United, we turn to face the Dark King.

"This is an act of war," Vance says, his voice strong and authoritative. "And you will pay."

The Dark King kept smiling. "Maybe someday. But not now." He motioned to his soldiers, and they nocked their arrows, aiming right at us.

"Don't you have a heart?" Zeke hissed, stepping in front of Vance and I protectively and drawing his sword.

"Zeke—" I started, drawing my sword and stepping next to him. We would gladly die protecting our Crown Prince, who was my best friend, and Zeke's lover.

It happened so fast. One minute Zeke was standing next to me. The next, there was an arrow in his chest and he had sagged against Vance. A broken scream erupted from me, and I felt a sudden surge of terrible, overwhelming Darkness.

"It's hard to have a heart when you've stopped so many others," the Dark King explained as he strode toward us.

I raised my sword and stepped in front of Vance, who was on his knees next to the boy he loved, yelling Zeke's name desperately. My heart clenched painfully.