Chapter 11

Kye

I have just finished explaining everything that occurred on Val and I's "adventure," and everyone seems to be taking the information in, especially Neve and Zyair.

It probably doesn't surprise Lake that war is coming, not when he mostly likely already guessed as much,

But Zyair is paler than I've ever seen him. I expect him to say something along the lines of how scary this is, but instead, he comments, "I never liked Brander that much anyways, to be honest."

Everyone, including me, just stares at him. He stares right back.

Neve bites her lip. "Do you think....will Asilo be next, after Trivette?"

Neve grew up in Asilo, that much I know. She loves her kingdom just as much as I love mine, maybe even more, for Trivette seems much more of a safe, untouchable place to me than home. Even though she gets angry about how her kingdom insists to stay peaceful, she cares about it and its people.

After what Surena told me earlier today, I realize that there's no point in lying to myself, or Neve. I look to Lake, and he nods, his eyes clouded with lingering guilt.

I turn to Neve and Zyair. "I doubt the Dark King will stop until he rules all four kingdoms. You can't argue."

Neve's expression shutters, and she quickly turns away from me.

Zyair swallows roughly. "I once told you that I would rather die than support the Dark King, Kye. But I don't think that's enough anymore." All eyes go to him. He takes a deep breath. "We can't just not support him anymore. We either support him, or are against him."

"Against," I say immediately. "Always against." He hurt Val.

Why does that matter to me?

Lake nods. "I've never supported him, but I realize now that that's not enough. I'm against him. Definitely."

We look to Neve. She's staring out the window, through the rain, through the red brick buildings, through the forests, through the mountains, all the way to Asilo, I can tell.

"Neve?" Lake asks softly. She startles, whipping toward us.

She pastes a weak smile in her face, which quickly disappears. "Sorry, I spaced out. But I'm against the Dark King. I don't understand how anyone couldn't be."

Like my father.

I know that's not what she means, but I can't help but think of it. I wonder if he and Val ever met.

I lean back in my chair, pushing the thoughts of my father from my mind. He's the last thing I need to worry about. "It's nice to know we're all in agreement, Zyair. But what, exactly, was the point in that?"

Zyair's green eyes shine, and I can tell that whatever the point of this is, he's been thinking about it for a while. "Before we get to that, how about you go fetch our dear friend Val?"

"Why?" I ask. Judging by how shaken up she was earlier, I doubt she'll want to come down here and talk.

"I want to talk to her," he says simply.

"Then why don't you go?" I'd much rather not have one of Val's fancy new knives thrown at my face.

"I'm much too comfortable to move." He is, indeed, currently sprawled out on the couch, hands behind his head, his legs rested on Neve's lap. She's unbothered by it, seeming to be deep in thought. Whatever she's thinking, it worries her.

I lean further back in my chair though, because I really would rather not disturb Val. "You're the one who wants to talk to her, Zyair."

It's not that I don't want to talk to her, but when I do, she only seems to like me less. Which bothers me for a reason I can't quite explain.