Chapter 9

Kye

The rain continues all night, even past sunrise. The sound of it is soothing, like a lullaby. Zyair is asleep, face-down on the card table. We finished our game about an hour ago. He won, much to my annoyance. My excuse was that I wasn't very focused.

Waiting for Val, I flip a few lights on and rifle through the cloaks hanging on the wall. I must have left mine upstairs, so I shrug on Lake's black one. At least it will blend in better than my burgundy one. The thought unsettles me, because I've always liked to stand out. The idea of there being spies that report to the Dark King might be scaring me more than I would like. War, is the word that has begun to echo in my mind.

"I've changed my mind," a voice says. Startled, I whip around to find Val standing at the bottom of the stairs, wearing the same dark cloak she wore the night she arrived here. I doubt all of the bloodstains washed out, but it doesn't matter, for both things are black.

"Changed your mind about what?" I ask, heading toward her.

She shoves past me, and yanks open the door. "I'm going on my own. And I'm not teaching you how to use a sword." My eyes catch on her white braid, and I wonder why her hair changes color like it does.

"Woah woah woah," I say, my fingers lightly closing around her wrist before she walks out the door. "You're not getting rid of me that easily, Val."

She yanks her hand from my grip and promptly strides out the door, pulling her hood up and tucking her braid in simultaneously. "Yes I am."

I could just let her go, but where's the fun in that? Also, I just don't like the thought of her roaming alone on this dark, rainy day. Although I'm sure she could, and would, kill anyone who so much as bothered her. Hopefully not me though. Still, I take a deep breath and head after her. This will be a delightful morning.

I walk a few paces behind her as she makes her way down the short brick path from the door to the bronze gate, which opens up to the street. Rain still falls around us, and the sun is nowhere to be seen. There's even a slight chill to the air, but that isn't uncommon in the spring.

Val emerges onto the street and kicks the gate closed behind her. I reopen it.

"I told you that I'm going alone," Val snaps, looking back and forth, deciding which way to go. The streetlights make the gloomy morning at least a bit brighter.

"And I told you that I'm coming with you," I respond. A few Royal Guards ride by on auburn horses, most likely heading back to the castle for their morning duties. They glance at Val and I as they pass, uninterested. At least I now know that the men from yesterday didn't actually meet with the Royal Family, or else the guards would have recognized Val.

We both watch as the guards turn the corner, deeper into the kingdom, where the market is, as well as various other shops. I live on the outskirts of Trivette, on one of the more wealthy streets, usually the least busy. Although I doubt that the streets will be very busy on a rainy morning such as this one.

Val finally glances at me, and I frown at how exhausted she looks.

I expected her to look angry.

"How did you sleep?"

Her eyes narrow. "Fine." A pause. I can see the exact moment she gives in, as her whole body seems to slump a little. "Now are we going to the market or not?"