Chapter 12

The Dark King

I miss Valerie dearly. My days aren't nearly as exciting without hearing her scream.

Although I have found a new woman to occupy my time, I would much rather be with Valerie. And I would love to do to her the things I do to my new.... distraction.

Her name is Fay, I think. She used to be a guard, come from Trivette to serve me, but I dismissed her from that position easily. I'd much rather see her in a dress than a uniform.

I have decided to let Valerie have some fun for the time being. Just a few minutes ago, I received word that two more of my men had been killed. They were spies in my network.

Now I realize that this is a game. Of chess, you could say. For each move I make, she makes one as well, and the same goes for the other way around. I won't mind playing this game for a while. I can come for her whenever I want.

A part of the information I received today regarding Valerie was very interesting. Apparently she was spotted in the streets with a burgundy-haired boy my spies have not identified yet. Further, this same boy was spotted the day before in the streets with the guard who assisted with Valerie's escape, Lake Rosencrantz. The son of my dead general.

Interesting. So very, very interesting.

Oh, how I will enjoy conquering Trivette.

If this is a game, what Valerie doesn't understand is that I make the rules.

What a tragedy you are, my Valerie darling. You and I, we could rule the world. How I would love for you to stand by my side. And you will stand by my side, no matter what it takes. When the time is right, I will come for you, and I will do whatever it takes to make you mine.

I need her more than she thinks.

As I walk through the halls toward my throne room, I make sure to smile ferally at every servant I pass. They all stiffen in terror, knowing that I would take pleasure in skewering any one of them with the sword that rests at my hip. To be feared is to be powerful.

I have plans. Big plans. And they need to be executed correctly, for if not, I will lose the small window of time that I can use as an advantage.

Rain has come upon Trivette, which is the perfect time to get a step ahead of my dear Valerie. As I enter the throne room, my eyes snap to her throne, crafted of shimmering black diamonds. I remember the day I showed it to her, the day I realized just how powerful she truly was.

She was weighed down with thirty pounds of solid Lychnus, enough to kill any normal magic-wielder. Yet when I ordered my soldiers to force her to sit upon her throne, the room went dark and my men dropped to the ground like stones. Dead, bleeding from their mouths, noses, eyes, and ears.

I remember the smile that crept up my face as I began to applaud her for her effort, even a dozen soldiers pinned her down and strapped on another twenty pounds of chains.

Her screams of agony that night were delightful. My knife slit her skin so easily as I made the X across her back. If that didn't mark her as mine, I didn't know what would.

Knowing that I have left a claim on Valerie, a map of scars that will never fully fade, ignites pure satisfaction within me. She will be marked as mine forever, just as I intended. Every time she looks at herself, she will be reminded of me. That I'm coming for her. That she is, and will always be mine.

I might not know exactly what she is, but I know how to hurt her. And if what I've guessed turns out to be true....

One of my advisors approaches me, stooping into a low bow. "My king." I nod slightly, just enough to let him know that he can continue. "We have made the arrangements you requested."

A wretched smile stains my lips. "Perfect."

The advisor starts to walk away, but I stop him with a few words. "One more thing, Mr. Merran."

He quickly faces me at the sound of his last name, contemplating whether he should bow once again. He does. "Yes, my king?"

Oh, how I enjoy bringing grown men to their knees before me.

"Do you recognize the name Lake Rosencrantz?"

The advisor thinks for a moment. "It sounds familiar, my king. At least the last name does." He knows better than to speak of my dead general. It looks like he might want to add something, but I doubt the information would be of any usefulness. No ex-merchant from Trivette would be familiar with a dead general's traitorous son.

I nod curtly. "Very well then. You are dismissed."

My boots echo throughout the throne room as I make my way toward my throne. It's very like Valerie's, except slightly higher off the ground and etched with delicate white carvings.

I sit, and await my council, which should commence in fifteen minutes. We will be discussing my new plans.

Servants scuttle around the room, completing whatever tasks they have been assigned. My presence looms over them, ominous and sinister. If only they knew, I think. If they fear me now, just wait until they meet my future queen.

After Valerie and I are wed, we will host a ball, and force many citizens of Nieves to attend. To let them see us on the thrones. To let them know just how much power we will have. To let them realize that to us, they are insignificant. Nothing. Because we will be everything.

Oh, how I look forward to that day.

Soon, I tell myself. Soon. You must continue to play the game for a while, for this time can be used to your advantage.

Patience has always been one of my most valued virtues. Good things come to those who wait.

I waited until the time was right to kill my parents and ascended to the throne. I waited, and am still waiting, for Valerie to agree to be my queen. And I will wait to come to Trivette.

There's one thing that I dearly hope Valerie understands, especially when I finally come for her. It has never been my intention to kill her. And it was never even my intention to break her.

Unfortunately, now, breaking her is my only choice. But it didn't have to be this way. She could have made this so much easier.

But once we are reunited, I must break Valerie, for I have realized that she may be more powerful than I ever could have imagined. And a powerful, ruthless queen would be very dangerous indeed. That is why I am taking the necessary steps in preparation. But this will all be for nothing if my theory is not correct.

It is though. It must be. From all the time I have spent with Valerie, it is near certain. And I do not make mistakes.

I need her though. Sooner than later, for I cannot keep up this facade of Dark power much longer. Power is viewed in different forms, and conveys different meanings that may not be true. For too much light can blind you. And darkness is needed for balance.

Magic is an honor. A blessing. Until it becomes a shackle. A curse.