Epilogue

Here it is—the end! The next "chapter" after this will be some extra information about this book and book two. Thank you for sticking around till the end; I love you all <3

The Wedding and the Massacre
TWO DAYS LATER

From high above, the Occisor watches. Above the sky, above the world, above the Gods. Among the stars.

He is rather certain that the Latora watches as well, but she has not joined him. She is still furious, furious at her lack of control over that cursed King. Her careful plans were foiled because he did not obey her. Because he wanted more, and his deluded mind wrapped its claws around an answer he had always wanted.

But surely, the Occisor's dearest enemy has already devised a new plan. How could she not? The terms of her deal with his Valerie were not exceedingly unreplicable. She will find more chances to succeed and fulfill her wishes.

The Occisor himself does not know what to make of the situation at hand. Part of him is relieved: his Valerie had refused to give in to him, yet she still found a way to live. But if she refused to give in even in the most dire of circumstances, how could he ever convince her to in the future? There is only one way he can think of, but he has no possible way to execute it. Besides. He knows that Kye Merran has a destiny, a great role to fulfill. And the Occisor knows better than to tamper with fate. He still lives with the consequences from when he attempted to the first time.

What the Occisor is slowly realizing is that emerging victorious from the ancient war seems like a dream that is slowly slipping out of his grasp. One that he cannot hold on to much longer.

Maybe he should start preparing for the alternative. Start preparing to fight thousands with only a single ally by his side. Start preparing to face the Latora for a final battle. It is inevitable. Because they were forged together, they are the only two that can bring death upon one another.

Yet the Occisor already knows who would win. He is not the being the universe sings of, and he never has been. More so, he has been corrupted by one of his own. The one whose mind he constantly inhibits because she is not where she is supposed to be. For the first time in millennia, he feels emotions again. He remembers the past. Through his Valerie. How she is even able to feel like she does is a mystery in itself though. For how can a dark girl who isn't human possess humanity?

The Occisor hates not knowing, especially because of his supposed omniscience. But he must accept it: he will never understand Valerie. Maybe he could have, once, but his humanity was torn from him so long ago that even the memories of the experience, the being, have faded, leaving only the most relevant events behind.

Speaking of events. The one that is currently occurring, the one the Occisor watches so intently...it is cataclysmic. It was never supposed to happen—it seemed impossible. Neither side planned for it. Neither side wanted it.

Mighty, Divine power. Two kinds: one directly pure and dark, and one a facade. A deception. A clever loophole forged by the enemy. The Occisor would call it cheating, but the Latora has always been one to play dirty.

From high above, the Occisor watches his Valerie and his past love's cursed King defy the stars.

They stand on a low-hanging balcony, overlooking a meadow of dead grass. The meadow is filled with people, citizens of Nieves. They were forced to come, roused by brutal soldiers fulfilling their King's demand for an audience, and they are gravely unhappy. They have no desire to watch the King they harbor so much hatred for be wed.

Yes. It is dusk—for once, not dawn, thankfully, which means the time is safe—and a wedding is occuring. The Occisor's Valerie is the bride and the Latora's deranged King by the name of Manar is the groom. One of Rurik's numerous High Priests conducts the ceremony. Though it is dusk, the weather is plain. Slate-gray clouds frame the darkening sky, and a light rain falls. In a month or so, the rain will turn to snow and a devastating winter will fall upon the Kingdom of Ice.