Chapter 35

Kye

"Come, Flame. The Shadow needs you."

The words echo in my mind on repeat, and I can't tell if it's actually the voice speaking, or just my head spinning. Something is wrong. Why would Val need me? She never seems like she needs anyone, least of all me. She hates me. Does she?

But there's no way in hell I'm not going to find her.

"Southwestern Trivette," the fiery voice tells me. "Once you are close enough, you should be able to find her rather easily."

How? I question in my mind, slightly confused. Southwestern Trivette isn't very specific. Val could be anywhere.

"You and the Shadow are connected, your very souls entwined," the voice says as if it is the most simple thing in the world. "You will always find her."

Oh. Well that just makes so much sense. Totally.

"What are you doing?" says a feminine voice from nearly right behind me. I whip around, startled, only to find Lucine standing before me, arms crossed. She plucks the drink I'm holding out of my hand and takes a sip.

"Uh, I was...."

She raises a brow. "Standing here, staring down at the ground, completely zoned out?"

I wince a little, but nod. "Yeah. Sorry."

"Andras usually likes his men to be focused, you know," Lucine says. She pauses. "I do too, if I'm being honest."

Great, I want to say. Leave me alone so I can go to Val. But that wouldn't sound very good. Instead, I frown, pretending to be offended.

Wrong move, Kye. Lucine laughs, rolling her eyes. "Don't worry. I was joking. Well, kind of."

I force a smile. "Oh." My eyes scan the room, landing on Neve and Lake, who are still conversing with a group of spies. "You know, I think I should go back to my friends."

Lucine frowns, glancing over at them. "Why? I don't think you're missing anything."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a group of spies, including Crooked Nose and a few other men I recognize from my time spent on the roof earlier, about to leave the bar area. I know where they're going.

"No, not them," I tell Lucine, gesturing to Neve and Lake. "Them." I nod to Crooked Nose and his friends. "I was planning on going to the Gap with them."

Lucine's eyes narrow ever-so-slightly, but she just shrugs. "Sure." She pauses a moment, then winks at me. "Have fun. And if those whores at the brothel don't satisfy you, come find me. I'll probably still be here. Andras and I will be waiting for my asshole of a brother to return."

With that, she strides away from me, toward a group of men on the other side of the bar. I let myself relax slightly before hurrying to catch up with Crooked Nose and his friends.

As I hurry after them, I catch Neve's eye. She raises a brow, and I flash her a nervous, fake grin, mouthing "the others." I hope she understands what I'm trying to say.

"Wait up!" I call, following the group of spies leaving the bar. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a cloaked man with a limp entering through the back door.

Crooked Nose turns around, and when his eyes land on me, he grins. "Kye. Joining us, are you?"

I nod, jogging to catch up with him. A few other spies mumble greetings to me, still bitter about the card games I won earlier this afternoon.