Chapter 4

Kye

I wanted to get out of the house to cool off, so Zyair and I decided that we should take Lake to the market.

Now, as we stroll through the busy streets of Northwestern Trivette, I watch gladly as Lake, don in stretched-out clothing of mine, marvels at the scene around us. The footpaths are crowded, with stalls selling sacks of nuts and dried fruit, or meat roasting on rotating skewers. Powdered spices lay in rust red and dusty yellow piles, or spill bright green from sacks as large as feed bags.

"So," Zyair starts. "Lake. How long have you known Kye?"

"Since we were seven." I answer before Lake can. "My father thought it would be good if I had a friend. He said that Lake would keep me out of trouble."

At the mention of my father, Lake stiffens beside me. I look at him questioningly. "What?"

"Kye." he says softly. "Your father..."

My heart seems to stutter a bit. "Is dead? The bastard had it coming, to be honest."

Lake shakes his head. Nonononono.

Gods no. Please. Please. Don't let him say what I think he'll say. What I he'll say.

Zyair puts a hand on my shoulder. "Kye? You okay?"

No. Not if...

"He's not dead. He's working for the Dark King." Lake states, his eyes flicking back and forth between me and the ground.

I stumble. I literally stumble, bumping into a woman who curses at me. "Those damn Embers," she mutters under her breath.

Zyair grabs my wrist. "Come on." He steers me toward an alleyway, and Lake follows.

My mind is a mess, scrambled thoughts swirling around, bumping into one another.

I could have accepted any other fate for my father, but not this one. Never this one.

When we reach the alley, I slump against the wall and rake my hands through my hair. "How?" I ask Lake.

"I don't know exactly, but I would always see him in the throne room with the Council." Then, softer. "The Dark King plans to take over Trivette next. Your dad is a native. The Dark King must have use of him."

Suddenly, I feel as if I'm going to vomit. My heart sinks. Not Trivette. Oh gods, not Trivette. I can't, won't imagine my beloved kingdom under the occupation of the Dark King and his horrible army. With a glance at Zyair, I can tell that he feels the same way, based on his ashen complexion.

Part of me has always known that Trivette will be taken next, but I never wanted to believe it. It's all too obvious though. Why would someone as powerful as the Dark King stop at conquering one kingdom when he could rule all?

The thought sends shivers up my spine.

I hate to accept this, but it makes sense that my father works for the Dark King. He's always been one to ally himself with people of power.

At the thought of my father, another father slips into my mind. I push away from the damp alley wall and turn to Lake. "What about your father?"

Something like pain crosses his face. "He's dead."

My jaw drops open. "But...isn't...wasn't your father the General of the Royal Guard?"

Lake nods. "He was. The Dark King killed him." His voice lacks emotion, but his face displays his grief plainly. Lake may not have had the best relationship with his father, but he didn't hate him, like I hate mine.