Chapter 5

Val

As Lake and I turn the corner of the hallway, away from the suspicious eyes of Kye, Neve, and Zyair, I not-so-subtly brace a hand against the wall. With every bend of my knees, my stitches strain painfully. But it was worth it seeing the expression on Kye's face when the knife skimmed his ear and landed in the wall. Unfortunately, the moment was ruined for me once something the Dark King had once told me escaped my mouth.

"Symmetry is far more appealing, wouldn't you say, darling?"

I try to shove the words from my mind. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Lake studying me. I'm about to ask what he's staring at when I realize that my hair is black now.

Shit. Now Kye has another question to ask when attempting to get answers out of me.

"How did you learn to throw a knife like that?" Lake asks once we reach "my" room. It's better than him asking about my color-changing hair. I shut the door behind us, wishing there was a lock as well. I don't trust Kye in the slightest. He definitely seems like a person who would eavesdrop.

I shrug, carefully sitting in the bed. Relief seeps through my body as my muscles relax. "Here and there. I'm much better with a sword though."

Lake crosses his arms and leans against the wall on the other side of the room. The place farthest away from me.

Fear. That's good. Fear keeps people away.

He decides not to press about my combat skills, and instead says, "So...you wanted to talk?"

"What did you tell them?" I snap immediately. He bristles at my harsh tone.

"Nothing about what you can...do, if that's what you're asking. And, to be honest, I don't know much about you to begin with." I slump in relief.

"But they have questions," he continues, "especially Kye."

"Obviously." I mutter, leaning back onto the bed. "He already screamed at me this morning."

Lake straightens. "He yelled at you?" He sounds almost incredulous, and I give him a side-long glance.

"Yeah. But he is an Ember, after all. I'm not shocked."

Lake's frown deepens. "The Kye I know would never yell at you."

I merely tilt my head contemplatively. "Whatever. Maybe I just make him mad, that's all. I don't really care, to be honest."

He pauses. "Or maybe he's changed. I've never met Neve or Zyair before."

The last thing I want to do at the moment is to listen to Lake complain about Kye changing and making new friends, so while he rambles on mindlessly, I delve deep into myself.

It's still there. It always is, trying desperately to shatter my heart. It's a constant battle that I know I will lose one day. But for now, I continue fighting, because the time I have is better than none at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the Darkness. It's a part of me. But the second I let it consume me...

"Val?"

My head snaps to Lake. "Yes?"

"Were you even listening?"

There's no point in lying. And I don't care about his feelings anyways. "No."

He sighs. "Why did you throw the knife at Kye?"

I hate all these questions. "I wanted to. And the Dark King specifically told me how appealing symmetry is, so I did Kye a favor." Short, simple, to-the-point answers are my best friends right now. With minimal explanations.