Chapter Sixteen

A/N tell me if there's any errors 💙
~~~

Levi's POV

It's been months since Eren told me when his birthday was and a week before it arrived, I still couldn't figure out the right way to help celebrate it for him. I ended up calling Hange for advice. Hange has gotten to know Eren more, so it was easier to ask them for advice than go to Petra or someone else. Hange's neighbors took quite a long time redoing their house so Hange had to stay at my house for about a month, therefore, becoming closer with Eren since he came over quite frequently.

"What did you guys do for your birthday again?" Hange asked, taking a bite of a cracker as they sat next to me on the couch.

I sighed, trying hard to ignore the obvious crumbs they were leaving as they ate. "We went around town and looked at lights and then came back here for a movie."

Hange nodded humming to themself. "Mm, right. Well is there anything Eren's ever talked about with you that he wanted to do?"

I look down at my hands in thought. My mind trails off into the many memories I have of being with Eren then I look back up at Hange and give the best smile I can muster without cringing. "I got it."

Hange leans away, grimacing. "Jeez Levi, I've seen you have a happy smile, and that? That is not it. What is it?"

I shake my head, shivering at the thought. "Nothing. Listen, do you have a sleeping bag and tent I can borrow?"

Hange's eyes widen in realization. They grin brightly, aggressively clapping their hands together. "You, Levi Ackerman, are going camping? With Eren?"

I roll my eyes. "Tch, shut up Four-Eyes. I remember him telling me he wanted to do it sometime so I might as well get it out of the way and over with."

"Awe, Levi," Hange cooed, leaning over and resting their chin on my shoulder. "You must really like Eren to give up sleeping in a clean house for him, huh?"

I jam my elbow into their neck as they gasp for air. "He's just a friend."

Not long after though, they're back to their old self, cackling as I walk away. "If he's just a friend, tell me one other person you'd agree to go camping with that's just a friend." I pause, hesitating to take another step as I thought. I glance back at them after a moment when I can't think of anyone before letting out a sigh, scowling and walking away.

I text Eren asking if his family would be okay with him going away for a few nights. He replies a couple of minutes later saying yes, but where? I smile, typing out a reply.

Me: 'It's a surprise, just make sure to pack a sleeping bag and clothes for warm and cold weather. I don't know how it'll be when we get there.'

Eren replies with a thumbs-up emoji and that's all we say to each other for the day aside from our usual good night text.

The next few days I spend either at work or planning the trip for Eren's birthday. Once the day finally comes to leave, I drive to his house early in the morning and knock on the door only to be greeted by his father.

"Oh, hi Levi, how've you been?" Grisha asks, gesturing for me to come in.

I smile, walking in after him. "I've been well, how are you?"

"Good, thanks," He says turning away before saying over his shoulder, "I'll get Eren."

I nod and sit down on the couch while I wait. I hear footsteps and get up expecting Eren, but am surprised to see his mother instead.

"Oh good," she says, scuttling over to me. "I was hoping I'd catch you alone before you left."

I sit back down when she pats the seat next to her on the couch. "So, where are you going? I know it's a surprise for him, but being a mother I'd like to know. For precaution's sake of course."