4 | Cutlasses (I)

As soon as Reeca stepped within Rutoria's tent, she knew there's something wrong

As soon as Reeca stepped within Rutoria's tent, she knew there's something wrong. Something was really wrong.

Her heart slammed against her chest as her steps changed from a brisk pace to a run. She threw open the tent flap to reveal Rutoria seated on a three-legged stool, head cocked to somewhere on the floor.

And on the floor...

"Cirasa!" she screamed, his name sounding foreign yet natural on her tongue.

Before she knew it, she was kneeling on the dirt and helping her friend get a hold of himself. What's going on? He was shaking, that much as clear as Reeca took hold of his shoulders. His head hung low, his light yellow hair covering most of her view of his face.

"Reeca," Cirasa rasped, his breaths shallow and labored. "What are you doing here?"

"Meddling," Rutoria's gentle lull of a voice floated around the tent. Reeca whipped to find the oracle's hard, blue eyes trained on her. For some reason, those eyes made Reeca want to hide in a bunker and die.

"What's happening to him?" Reeca hated how much her tone came close to pleading.

"Reeca, please..." Cirasa whispered through clenched teeth. "I can't hold it—"

Then, his form buckled so violently Reeca had to let go and scamper back. She watched in horror as Cirasa choked and gagged, fragile fingers grasping his hair. He screamed and whimpered, begging something to stop. Reeca whirled to the oracle.

"Stop it!" she screamed. Whatever it was Rutoria's doing, it wasn't right.

The oracle raised an eyebrow. Green light flickered weakly from the lamp set at her feet. "I'm not doing anything," she crossed her ankles and wagged a finger in Cirasa's curled form. "It's him who should stop."

Reeca stared at the oracle. Cirasa coughed and with it came blood. Oh gods. "What do you mean?" She turned back to Rutoria. "He needs help."

"And I'm giving it to him," Rutoria said before standing from her stool. Reeca watched as the oracle took three steps to where Cirasa was convulsing and laid a hand on his head. "Don't fight it," Rutoria whispered into Cirasa's ear but loud enough for Reeca to hear. "Let it flow."

Cirasa's pained groan twisted Reeca's gut into knots. "Make it stop," the shard fairy whimpered as his fingers tightened against his hair. "It hurts..."

Rutoria closed her eyes and exhaled. "As it should," she said. "Having two synnavaimis isn't easy."

"Two synnavaimis?" Reeca stalked to where Rutoria was kneeling. "That's impossible!"

"And yet here we are," Rutoria cast a brief glance at Cirasa before looking Reeca straight in the eye. "It should have been easy given his shard synnavaim has been weakening due to the loss of his wing but he has let his second synnavaim go unrestrained for so long it rages inside him."