21 | Parkane (II)

The Gates have all been opened by the time June and the others made it there

The Gates have all been opened by the time June and the others made it there. They took too long.

Tall, golden rails loomed over June in all their sparkling glory. The room with pink sky gave way to this vast chamber filled with nothing but the gates and white fog. According to the legend explained by Cirasa, the gates were supposed to be unlocked by the thrones of Umazure, one for each race who depended on the Arbotro.

It's just funny business, as June still believed. Still, it's getting harder to deny the fact that not only Parkane existed, they were here. With all their souls.

The gates were also supposed to be guarded by the chosen Guardians from each race. June saw no evidence of them but according to Cirasa, instead of going to the afterlife, their souls were plucked from Pidmena's realm and were stuck here, forever standing on guard against trespassers.

Well, this must be their lucky day.

When they got into the gates, not only were they opened, they were hanging from popped hinges. They looked like they were blown apart with enough force to decimate a city. The paved road was littered with gold flakes no doubt from them. Walls taller than the Penleth fortress flanked each gate, stretching to the sea of fog eating away at it.

They walked through all fourteen gates, each in a worse state than the last. June inclined his head and noted the ceiling above them was replaced by the galaxy itself. The stars provided the light and as June and the others walked through, they twinkled as if low on energy.

June inhaled and got a whiff of all the familiar scents he had smelled in his entire lifetime. If he looked too long at the fog rising from the walls and the gates, he swore he saw his own memories playing. He meant to ask the other heirs about this but they're all absorbed in sight-seeing.

His hand crept to his chest where he expected the warsei to be. His fingers touched skin. The throne, the curse he had borne for years, was just...gone. Canelis clicked her tongue from behind June as she grasped at something by her side. Nyxis couldn't stop looking behind him as if he would find his throne lying around there.

Cirasa led them as a group, walking a few steps ahead of them. He had lost his cloak sometime between Penleth and here. His broken wings matched Elred's. June swallowed a bitter taste creeping up at the back of his throat. How much more would this war cost them?

They cleared the gates and the road gave way to a grove flanked by a mess of short trees with bushy leaves. What else was there on the list of Arbotro defenses, then?

"The moat," Cirasa stopped in his tracks and June almost ran into him. June gritted his teeth and winced as pain bit at his gut. Ugh.

Past the oracle was a vast body of water coming up on the horizon. The ground also turned from paved to glass-like to sandy in a matter of a few steps. Beyond the moat and what now towered over them was...