22 | Arbotro

Xanthy placed her hands on the tree's bark

Xanthy placed her hands on the tree's bark. Her skin felt the dark brown surface with brittle parts breaking away with each brush of her fingers. There was no wind but the leaves rustled as if in anger.

The Sovereign smiled. The Heiress prodded the chained girl with her rapier. Xanthy shivered and recoiled. Deep inside, the Heiress' heart tumbled with joy at having the girl develop fear for her. Just how things should be. "Go on," the Heiress jerked her chin to the tree's direction. "Tie the Arbotro's core to your legacy and surrender it to me."

"No, to me," the Sovereign stepped and grasped Xanthy's arm. "Xanthy, entrust it to me."

The Heiress clicked her tongue. "Xyris," she addressed the Sovereign in her real name. It had been a while since the Heiress saw that livid look on her rival's reddening face. "I am the one who took over. She'll only follow me."

The Sovereign's eyes widened. Then, they burned with anger. "Alani," she rasped. "Don't you dare—"

"Oh, I dare," the Heiress snickered. She prodded Xanthy's arm with her rapier again. The tip of the blade sank into Xanthy's skin but the girl didn't flinch. Rightly so as the Heiress didn't give Xanthy the permission to feel pain. Not while she has a job to do.

The Heiress faced the Sovereign again. "We both know who's playing with who," she spread her arms. "Seems like I win."

"You vile—"

"I thought we're past name-calling already?" The Heiress clicked her tongue and wagged a finger at the Sovereign's face. It was always a delight to push people to the edge and watch them make a show of themselves. Indeed, the Sovereign's face was as red as her painted lips. The Heiress's lips curled upwards in a vicious smile. "Really, Xyris," she cooed. "It's been a thousand years already."

"Give her to me," the Sovereign snarled.

The Heiress hummed as if in caution. "If you attack me, I might lose my hold on Xanthy," she said, tilting her head at the Sovereign. "We both know what this girl is capable of doing once we let go of her."

The Sovereign narrowed her eyes. "So, that's it? I ended up being used by you?"

"Have you only realized it now?" The Heiress put a hand on her hip. "Don't think I have forgiven you for what you did just because you helped me in this war with your...strange artillery."

The Sovereign scoffed. "I refuse to admit defeat," she crossed her arms like a petulant child. "I won't forgive you either for what happened to Beizhen," the mention of the name turned the air notches colder. The Sovereign's magic crackled to the surface. "You killed him."

"He died for you," the Heiress' eyes hardened. "That's the same thing."

The Sovereign clenched her fists. Her magic built up, more and more.

"What are you even trying to do?" The Heiress said as she turned and kicked Xanthy at the back of her leg. The girl sprawled forward. "You've lost. There's nothing you can do aside from watching me attain victory."