8 | Union (II)

"Well, look who is back," a displeased voice bled into Nyxis's ears

"Well, look who is back," a displeased voice bled into Nyxis's ears. That could only mean one thing.

Nyxis pushed a groaning Cyrdel off him and inclined his head to the owner of the shadow looming upon him. He did his best to smile apologetically. "Hi, Denara."

"At least you can talk this time," the nymph clicked her tongue before stooping low and helping Cyrdel up. "Thank the gods I do not have to drag your sorry butt up a slab of stone."

Nyxis winced. "Yeah."

Cyrdel shook his head and cursed. For a brownie that was supposed to be formal and kind, the words came as a surprise for Nyxis. "Where are we?" The heir looked around with confusion in his features.

Denara raised an eyebrow. "In my cave," she stepped in front of the brownie. "Are you planning on freezing out here?"

Cyrdel blinked. Denara rolled her eyes and turned to go to the kitchen. Nyxis grabbed Cyrdel's arm and hauled him after the nymph. The brownie sputtered his confusion which quite delighted Nyxis as much as it delighted him seeing the familiar blue walls he had come to love. Denara disappeared into the adjacent cave and Nyxis knew he had arrived at the right time. Meal time.

Nothing had changed since he was last here. The sea was raging as usual. The sky was as gray as the fog rising from the waves. The walls were still enchanting and not a single thing was out of place.

"Nyxis, care to explain?" Cyrdel's annoyance was out of character as they entered the kitchen and the heavenly smell of stew greeted Nyxis. "Who is that...person? Why do you appear to know this place? Why did you bring us here?"

Nyxis rolled his eyes. "Could you not wait until we have sat by the fire and eaten some solid food?" he sighed at the brownie's defiant expression. "Fine. She is Denara. She is a friend."

Cyrdel narrowed his eyes on Nyxis's face. "Friend," his stare was accusing. "I see."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Nyxis knitted his eyebrows.

The brownie waved a hand in the air. "Nothing."

Nyxis blew a breath and trudged to where Denara was poking the fire with a stick. The kegs, the random pile of supplies, were still pushed to one side. The trenches where water flowed from the ocean were still there. He dropped next to Denara by the fire and Cyrdel followed his example. Nobody spoke for quite some time. The crackling embers were the only ones providing the noise.

Finally, Denara set the stick down and plopped to the floor, sitting cross-legged. She faced Nyxis. "So? What brings you here?" she regarded Cyrdel from the corner of her eyes. "You brought a companion too."

Nyxis crossed his arms. "Long story or short story?"

"Long story, if you please," Denara said. "We have got all the time in the world."