24 | Regret (II)

Kymalin laced her left boot with steel fingers

Kymalin laced her left boot with steel fingers. It wasn't cold tonight but shivers ran down her arms in waves. Drodham waited for her like a trap but she had to see Vaeri. During her time in Parkane, as she watched the stars fall atop her, she could only think of one person. The only person she ever did love with all of herself. She has to see him again.

She blew a shaky breath as she pushed herself up from her borrowed bed. She grabbed her sheathed sword hanging by the coat racks and made way to the door. The journey to Drodham would be dreadful as it was treacherous.

Kymalin crossed the maze of corridors she memorized and came to the central courtyard that opened up to the night sky. There, she spotted April leaning against a balustrade by the third floor, poring over her wings.

Wasn't April back to inserting metal feathers in her wings? She squinted to see April pluck a metal feather and chuck it towards the courtyard. Kymalin raised her eyebrows. Weird. April whirled as if sensing Kymalin's attention. Their eyes locked but Kymalin averted her gaze. She turned to go when she heard a metallic thump behind her.

"So," Kymalin faced the air sprite. "You never got to be the High Queen."

April scowled. Then, she clicked her tongue. "I figured it wasn't what I wanted anyway," she crossed her arms. "I want to rest. To be away from all of...this."

Kymalin hummed. "Let me guess," she planted her weight on one foot. "Revenge didn't feel as good as you expected."

The air sprite's head snapped up. Her mouth parted but no words came out. Kymalin smiled. Ah, thought so. April scoffed and scratched the back of her neck. "Yes, you're right," she shifted from foot to foot. "It didn't feel good. In fact, I feel revolted after I..."

"It's fine. You don't have to say it," Kymalin put a hand out to still the air sprite.

"You don't understand," April stepped closer to Kymalin. "I've dreamed of doing it since I heard of the news. Avenging mother and fixing this island....those were all I wanted."

Kymalin braced her hips. "Well, we never really knew what we wanted and what we needed until we got whichever one," she said, drawing from her own experiences. "What are you going to do now that you've resigned your claim to the throne?"

April snorted. "I can still make this island better with that council position," she looked at a horizon by Kymalin's shoulder and frowned. "But first I'd have to stomach seeing that girl wear a crown that's supposed to be mine."

Kymalin chuckled. "You did blow your chance."

"I know," April cracked a grin. "So, what are you going to do now?"

"Go back home to my brother," Kymalin said. Her heart became heavy all over again. Was her brother still alive, even? Veril hadn't reported.

"Does your brother have blue hair and matching eyes with you?" April asked, never removing her gaze past Kymalin's shoulder.