8 | Union (I)

It took a while before Nyxis could stand on his feet without feeling like the world was spinning and could topple underneath him any minute

It took a while before Nyxis could stand on his feet without feeling like the world was spinning and could topple underneath him any minute. Cyrdel just popped back up and was now stalking towards the only door where the two of them materialized.

"What was that?" Nyxis demanded as he took one step and began swaying. Suddenly, there were two Cyrdels. The brownie yanked a door open. The rusty grit the hinges screamed made Nyxis wince.

"A transport spell I happened to find in the old manuscripts," Cyrdel's voice was fading as he barged into the succeeding hallway. "Do you want me to explain how it works?"

Nyxis stumbled after the heir and braced the wall to keep his knees from shaking and his steps straight. "Do you wish to make my head explode?" he said. "Where are we?"

"See for yourself," Cyrdel peeled back a veil of dull red curtains.

Nyxis caught a glimpse of the brownie throne room where they once housed a number of brownies who had their shadows stolen. Only now, gone were the bright lights once illuminating the room. That's why Nyxis couldn't make sense of where he was. It was dark.

As Nyxis's stomach and muscles settled back into their places, he jogged to catch up to Cyrdel who paced towards a hidden door to the far left of the throne dais like he was being chased by a hungry graspel. Well, if those patrol guards caught up to them, they might as well be.

Nyxis tried to not look back at the upturned and half-burnt state of the thrones where the Brownie King and Queen once sat. According to Airene, Cyrdel, himself, saw how Synketrian soldiers murdered the royals and proceeded to wreck the throne room while she got Cyrdel and Ravalee out.

How in Rudik's horns was Cyrdel faring well now?

All around him, a heavy emptiness settled in the air and made it thicker to breathe. It's like the souls of the brownies who departed in these halls hadn't really crossed to the Land of Wonders nor were they planning to.

Cyrdel wrestled with a lock to the door, cursing as he hefted a piece of metal that apparently snapped into two. The fact that they were breaking in during a night when Crozal was the brightest didn't help either. Nyxis looked around as if he was expecting for people to turn up and start asking them questions.

The council seats on both the left and right wing were empty. From Nyxis's vantage point, he could make out more piles of dried clay. The curtains draped lifelessly as if they could sense the throne room being abandoned and their purpose has long passed.

The floor below where defendants used to stand during a trial had snapped into two with a grace equal to a sugrarsask. Piles of ash carpeted the stone floor, no doubt from the rows of wooden seats which spread out in the throne room. Some of those were thrown against the wall, causing cracks to spread across the supposed-to-be hard stone the Alkaran estate was hewn out of. The ceiling didn't fare well either. It looked like the brownies dealt with aerial attacks too, judging from the holes punched through the ceiling.