˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY DISCUSS QUIDDITCH

. . .

"Welcome back to another at Hogwarts." Dumbledore announced, as the crashing sound of the entire student body came to an end. The sorting had ended swiftly, there not being as many to be sorted that year, as expected of a generation concieved at a time whilst Voldemort was very much still at large.

"Before I let you begin what is promised to be the most wonderful feast, there are just a few announcements I need to make. First, I would like to welcome Professor Rakepick, our newest Defense Against the Dark Arts professor." Dumbledore began. 

The friend group were split across the hall, Tonks and Leo over at Hufflepuff, Dana and Xavier at Ravenclaw, Isla at Slytherin and of course Charlie and Kaida at Gryffindor. Despite this, they were all having the exact same thought - would this one be the one to break the curse.

"Of course she won't." Kaida answered the unspoken question, looking over at Charlie. "Doesn't matter if you're a famous Curse-Breaker or not, you'll be gone this time next year and that's that. Of course they sat Professor Quirrell next to him. After that adventure of his last year he looks like he might quite positively shit himself."

"You're far too harsh, Kai. Besides, Snape's reaction is the funny one here. He clearly doesn't hold famous Curse-Breakers very high in his esteem either." Charlie replied.

"Who does he hold in high esteem then? Man sure does has his standards when he looks like that." Kaida continued, Charlie hitting her on the shoulder and she swivelled around, shocked to find the Slytherin professor staring right at her. "Merlin he's creepy."

"You don't have to say that twice." Charlie muttered, and the two of then turned their attention back to Professor Dumbledore.

"Mr Filch has an updated list of banned items in his office, and would also like me to remind all of you that any products, including things such as Wall-In-A-Can is very much banned, and could result in a worse punishment than just detention." Dumbledore continued, and just down the table, Fred and George were mumbling to each other.

"So we saved up these for nothing?" George hissed, sounding extremely offended. "How would anyone know who used it anyway, it's not like they could see us." Fred laughed beside him, seemingly trying to stuff things further into his pockets and out of sights.

"And as always, the Forbidden Forest is restricted to all students - yes, Mr Weasley, that does include you." Dumbledore's eyes flickered over to Charlie, who laughed.

"It was a rogue Snitch sir, what could I do but go after it. It's in my nature." He winked, and a variety of girls around him swooned, Dumbledore chuckling. 

"Of course it is." He shook his head. "Speaking of snitches, Madam Hooch has asked me to inform all of you that Quidditch tryouts will be going ahead in the second week of term, if the captain is choosing to hold any. Please go by her office to see the list of assigned days for each house."

After a couple more insignificant speeches, Dumbledore ended his speech, and the rather large amount of food appeared on the table, students tucking in joyfully.

"How long do you reckon she'll last then? I'm guessing this isn't a curse she can necessarily break." Charlie asked, reaching over the table for the roast potatoes.

"The question is, why is she going to go." Kaida said, jabbing her fork in his direction. "Last year was because of that boggart incident, but I don't reckon seeing a boggart will phase her."

Charlie shrugged, and they continued eating, barely interrupted until a very recognisable fourth year approached them. "Good summer Charlie?" Oliver Wood asked, practically shoving a third year out of the way to sit next to the boy.

"It was alright thanks." Charlie replied. "I suppose you're here to ask about Quidditch?" Oliver nodded, far too enthusiastically and it was like he was trying to knock his head off his neck. "I'll have tryouts next week." 

"Any places secured? Except Kaida's and yours of course." Oliver continued, looking rather concerned.

"You never know, I could kick her off as well." Charlie said, and Kaida flicked a pea at him, hitting him directly in the eye. "And that is why I won't. Perfect aim." He shook his head. "Well, Wood, I suppose I could guarantee your place. I know there isn't any better Keeper in any upper years, so it's up to the fact if anyone else comes forward."

"I think the only positions really open are two chasers, right?" Kaida looked towards Charlie, who nodded. "The twins are beaters - you should've seen them play this summer - and I'm the only chaser and the others left last year. 

Oliver nodded, listening carefully. "I'll have a think, Oliver, but I'll have to do some form of tryouts if we want to win." Charlie said, and with that, Oliver went back to his seat.

"Well, Charles, looks like you've got quite your hands full with him." Kaida said, as the savoury food turned to sweet. 

"And a captain for when I leave." Charlie replied, and Kai's head shot up from her ice cream. "When we leave - you can tell."

"Now I understand why you're captain and not me." Kaida said, and Charlie laughed, the pair contuning to talk about Quidditch until the feast ended and Dumbledore sent them up to bed.

And just like that, term had started.