˗ˋ 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY GO AHEAD

. . .

"Kai, you got the Chasers?" Charlie asked, as the group of students planning on trying out scattered around the field, having chosen brooms and gone to the place that the captain had told them to.

"Me? Yeah sure - are you certain? It's your team Charlie and I don't want to mess it up." Kaida's features pinched together into a frown, watching as a group varying in ages, gender and most importantly skills. "What if I pick some people who are utter shit at Quidditch."

"Are you serious?" Charlie looked concerned. "Have you come down with a fever - did Fred and George slip something in your breakfast - should I send someone for Madam Pomfrey."

"Charlie what are you on about?" 

"You're being silly Kai. You're the best chaser in the school - possibly out of anyone our age. You're going to pick out two chasers of that group and they're going to be hard working and talented because that is what you'll look for. And they'll work well with you, and your dynamics will work even beetter on the pitch because you picked them out." Charlie continued, his words taking on that motivation that he had expressed to the team during the beginning of his welcome speech. 

"I suppose so.. but come over when you have a chance, okay? I don't want to mess up your team." Kaida began towards the group, a taunting smile on her face. "At least I don't have to deal with the twins."

"I reckon they'll be good." Charlie called back. "Shame their only second years - and there is those two particularily strong players."

"I reckon Oliver will put them on next year." Kaida replied. "He'll see their talent now, and I bet he's already planning his own team for when we're gone."

"He's already counting down the days." Charlie shouted, just as he reached his group of Beaters, beginning to tell them just how they would be going through with that part of the tryouts; planning on pairing them up and casting spells on the 'dead' bludgers that sent them flying all over the place - they weren't technically dead, but bludgers aged just like humans and the ones used in practise had almost no energy left.

"Alright." Kaida clapped her hands together as she stood in front of the crowd of potential chasers. "Of course, you all listened to Charlie's speech, so I'll only give a brief introduction. I'm Kaida Phoenix, and I've been a Gryffindor Chaser since third year. Charlie has put me in charge of your tryouts considering my position on the team, and he has full trust in me that I can find two chasers who will perfectly fit the dynamic of the team."

"Seeing as the previous two chasers graduated earlier this year, we're looking for completely new talent. I have a couple of activities planned for you all, which will be explained accordingly. Any questions so far?" The girl looked around, and seeing no hands, she pushed on. 

"First of all, we will be starting right here on the ground. It is more important than anything for chasers to be able to throw accurately, and catch well - dropping the Quaffle is a complete tragedy in any game." Kaida explained. "So for our first part of the tryouts, I would like you to partner up and come and collect a Quaffle of of me."

Watching carefully, the Phoenix girl circled around the group, keeping an eye out for anyone he seemed particularily good at it, and anyone who was failing. The second part was quickly moved onto, and consisted of them taking a school broom and doing the same thing in the air, trying to keep their balance on the thin wood. 

"Now, for the third part. I would like each pair to join another to create a four. You will split off into a three and a one, the three racing up and down this length of the pitch-" The girl paused, using her arm to signify which bit, "- And the person left over will be circling around them, throwing the Quaffle at them in all directions. After several goes, you need to swap around. Listen for the whistle blowing, and then we can move onto the final part of my Chaser tryouts.

They did as she told them, and Kaida continued to observe the hopefuls as they did the activity. And then, when the whistle blew, they gathered around her, listening for their final way to impress the chaser. During her time observing, Kaida had flown down to where Oliver was sitting in the stands, and asked if he could help out with something.

"Now, I'll need you to seperate from your groups. Thankfully, despite our lack of tryouts for Keeper, Oliver Wood did come and watch. And so, for the final part, I will be asking you all to take it in turns to throw Quaffles through the hoop, testing your aim." Kaida explained, the tiniest nudge of her leg turning her broom around to face the three hoops. "Oliver - you ready?" She shouted.

"Yep!" Came the reply, and with a nod, Kaida began to send the groups towards Oliver, watching as they passed the Quaffle around as they did so, and then throwing it for the hoop.

There were several near misses from Oliver, and Kaida made a mental note of them. She had decided that if they could get a Quaffle past him, then they were definitely going through the second part of the tryouts, which had Charlie making up different teams of people, alternating through those that he and Kaida had deemed acceptable to try and find the perfect dynamic.

And as Kaida had set off a forth round of hopeful Chasers, a gust of wind twisted itself around the girl, Charlie having flown up and spun around her, letting go of the handle of his broom and digging his fingers into her sides.

"You got people in mind?" He asked, following Kaida's gaze down at the group. The girl nodded, and Charlie grinned. "Brilliant, time for the final part."