˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY PROMISE EACH OTHER

. . .

The sound of all sorts clunking and banging together could be heard as Charlie dragged Kaida's suitcase up the creaky stairs of the Burrow. The Phoenix girl winced; the charm she had cast that had fforced her suitcase down into a much easier size to transport was wearing off, and Charlie had a much harder time moving it that the girl did. 

But finally, they reached the third floor and Charlie pushed open his room door, collapsing on his bed. Her suitcase lay, discarded on the floor. Kaida sat down next to Charlie, laughing as the ginger boy tried to catch his breath.

"You have no room to laugh - you did enough of that whilst you watching me lug your case up the stairs. And you didn't even help." Charlie looked annoyed, slightly exasperated. But it was all a front, as a smile broke out on his face just moments after, sitting up as he looked over to his best friend.

"So what happened with your parents?" He asked. Kaida shook her head slightly, a smile on her lips. She knew the question would be the first thing that her best friend would say to her. 

"I came down to breakfast this morning and poured myself a cup of tea without actually touching anything, quite freaks them out when I do that." Kaida replied, and Charlie burst into laughter.

"And so you had to leave?" He asked, and she nodded, her smile turning somewhat sad. "Oh no." Charlie quickly continued, his tone and expression a bit more serious. "Then what happened?"

"I don't think I'm going back." Kaida admitted, and Charlie's jaw dropped, struggling to find something to say. This prompted the girl on. "I think I was essentially kicked out."

Charlie frowned. His best friend had always either stayed at Hogwarts, or come back with him during the Christmas or Easter. But when it came to summer, she always went to her parents' house. "What happened?" Charlie repeated. 

"Well it was seemingly the last straw for them. You know how much mum is - well she started shouting at me for it, stuff about how 'I know it freaks them out' and how unnatural and freaky it was. Then she told me to take my peculiar, unnatural self and get out of her house. Of course, I used magic to get all the stuff I needed in this case and left." Kaida shrugged, staring down at the battered suitcase.

"And you apparated here, without splinching?" Charlie asked, in an attempt to lighten the mood slightly. Kaida had splinched on multiple occasions during their apparation course the prevvious year, but had managed to perfect the stomach-turning transport magic.

"Yes, I'm rather proud of myself." She chuckled, and Charlie tapped her knee a couple of times. Kaida found comfort in hugs, and small acts of affection - and he knew that. And whilst there was absolutely nothing going on between them (much to Mrs Weasley's despair), Charlie was rather partial to a hug, or something little like ruffling her hair. 

"Proud of you as well, Phoenix." Charlie said, and Kaida smiled again. But still she looked troubled. "We'll figure something out by the time next summer comes." He promised. 

Kaida grimaced, and Charlie chuckled. Neither of them were looking forward to the following summer; they would be graduating, and sent off into the Wizarding World with no idea what to do.

"McGonagall's gonna be on our case all year." Kaida laughed, and Charlie nodded. Their head of house had called them to many career meetings, at first seperate and then merged together, under the impression that whatever they did would be them doing it with each other. 

"We'll come up with something. Tell her our aim is to go and discover the lost colony of Thunderbirds in America." Charlie shrugged.

"And you reckon she'll believe that?" Kaida looked apprehensive. Charlie nodded, the absolute picture of confidence. Despite this, and despite trusting her best friend, Kaida didn't match that confidence; she seemed to be the slightest bit overcome with the realisation that she no longer had a place in her own home.

Although she wasn't crying and her eyes were practically dry, Charlie wrapped his arms around her shoulder, pulling her close, pressing a comforting kiss to the top of her head. "We'll figure it out. End up doing something together - that we both enjoy." 

Kaida mumbled something that sounded like an agreement, head resting on his shoulder. "I'll start doing research when we go back, I'm sure there's some people in the Three Broomsticks who know something - customers there come from all over." Charlie continued.

"I'll ask Madame Rosmerta if I can pick up some shifts on the weekends and after school sometimes. She doesn't ask questions about how I get there, just grateful for the extra help." Kaida said. 

"And we'll get out." Charlie finished, and he watched as Kaida held up a pinkie finger. He connected his own and they shook on it. "I promise."

✧