˗ˋ 20

CHAPTER TWENTY

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH CHARLIE IS
INFORMED

. . .

Kaida was a woman on a mission.

Professor McGonagall had sent her on her way not long after Kaida's announcement that it was dragons that the two best friends were interested in and not finding a lost colony of Thunderbirds during a tour of America, and now the Phoenix girl was making her way down to Hogsmeade.

She was hurrying, hoping to catch up to them before they went into any shops - she really couldn't be bothered to go through every single one of them. 

Her mind was racing through ideas. McGonagall's meeting clearly had some impact on her, pushing her towards making a sudden decision about what she wanted to do after she graduating Hogwarts later that year.

Neither had been sure at all what they wanted to do - at one point they really had considered looking for the lost colony of Thunderbirds, but after a little research proved that they were most likely somewhere in Arizona, which the pair knew to be way too warm for people adapted the the weather in Britain.

So the Thunderbirds became a cover story whilst they tried to make other decisions. They had considered following in Newt Scamander's footsteps and travel the world in a quest to discover and research magical creatures, had considered creating a magical zoo, building up a herd of Hippogriffs or delving deeper into zoology. They could have done any of those options, but after doing even the smallest amount of research they knew it wasn't right.

The closest one that they were actually very close in coming to actually included two of their ideas; they worked for a while in the zoology field to build up some money up and then starting on their herd of Hippogriffs. 

And the idea that Kaida had now wasn't particularly far from that, if she was honest. 

Kaida swerved around a group of third years, all of them busy chatting about how excited they were to be on their first trip to Hogsmeade, hurrying down the long lane to the village. 

There was a head of red hair somewhere in the distance, beside the houses right by the entrance. It could have been anyone, but considering the bright pink beside him she knew it was Charlie and Tonks and sped up to a run.

"Kaida! Good, I was wondering if I could talk to you about Quidditch." A recognisable Scottish accent stopped Kaida in her tracks, the girl turning around to see Oliver. "I have a few ideas for warm ups and tactics that I would love to discuss with you and Charlie."

"Oliver - I really, really do want to hear them." Kai cut him off before he had a chance to begin listing them off. "However, I'm desperate to talk to Charlie about our futures right now.. so if it can wait?"

"Yeah of course." Oliver didn't look as if he meant it. "I mean if you really think that your future is more important than the match Gryffindor has against Slytherin in a week is more important then go ahead." His tone was dripping with sarcasm that Kaida ignored, shaking her head at the fourth year.

"If you see us in the Three Broomsticks just come up an have a chat. Or at dinner or something." She suggested before continuing to rush off, catching up with the group.

"Kaida - we wondered where you were." Dana had a rare, stress-free smile on her face as she greeted the girl. "We were waiting to see where you wanted to go first."

"I don't mind, anywhere." Kaida replied dismissively, gaze barely landing on the rest of her friends before she turned to Charlie. "You - come on."

She didn't give him the ability to protest as she grabbed his arm and dragged him away from the group, craning her neck to try and see over the crowds to find a quieter place to stop and talk to him.

Eventually they ended up in the alleyway besides the Hog's Head Inn, which was almost never visited by the students of the school and provided to be a very useful place for couples to go when they needed privacy. 

Charlie and Kaida were certainly not a couple, but they definitely needed privacy, meaning it was perfect.

"What's up with you? Did McGonagall believe the thing about the lost colony of-" He began, but Kaida quickly cut him off.

"No - as if she believes that, and Arizona weather is way too hot." Kai interjected, shaking her head at the stupidity of the idea. "But McGonagall actually helped me think of something. She didn't mention anything about us going to split up to work or any other stupid suggestion like that - she asked me what we both liked."

"How did that help? You could've told her pumpkin pasties and we would've been directed to go and work in a factory mass-producing them?" Charlie looked confused, unable to figure out exactly where she was going with this.

"No - not things we like in that sense, things like classes. So I said Care of Magical Creatures, obviously." Kaida continued, pausing for a moment to catch her breath. "Sorry.. couldn't breathe but anyway, then she asked me if there was a topic in Care of Magical Creatures that we enjoyed the most."

"And you said...?" Charlie waved his hand, gesturing for her to continue.

"Dragons, you idiot. I said dragons."