˗ˋ 23

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THE MATCH
APPROACHES

. . .

"Okay everyone, today is the big day." Charlie clapped his hands together, reuturning back through the dark purple-painted doorway, reaching back to pull his hair out of his eyes. "Today is the day, team." 

Kaida looked up from where she was tying Angelina's shoelaces, reverting her gaze as she tied a bow on one shoe, and picked up the laces of the seconds, hands shaking just slightly as she wrapped them around each other.

"We are playing Slytherin." Charlie continued, as if it wasn't obvious enough already.

They had practised hard for what time remained between the Hogsmeade visit and the first match of the year. Considering they had so many second year players - really, majority of the team was Angelina, Fred and George, who were all new and hadn't played on the team before. Rosa, Kaida and Charlie were seventh years, and still Oliver was only in his fourth year.

Kaida had taken a little trip to Madam Hooch's office one evening after practise, and it was really quite lucky that she wasn't there, because it involved digging around in the drawers of her desks until she pulled out the file labelled '90-91' and she could get a hold of the complete list of players for the other three teams. 

And they had the newest team. Slytherin almost always stuck with older years, unless the person trying out was of a particular status or had something the others wanted. Ravenclaw was exclusively third years and up, and well Hufflepuff had appointed Cedric Diggory as their only new player. Other than that, the rest had played the previous years. 

That morning had been tough; they arrived in the Great Hall to find that the majority of people were dressed all in scarlet and gold in support of the Gryffindors, but what Slytherins lacked in numbers, they made up for in chants of a horrible nature and shouting insults at them. 

But they managed to ignore them, eating as much breakfast as they could manage to stomach before leaving the table before the rest of the crowd could. They quickly came down to the changing rooms to get the rest of their kit on, pulling on shoes and strapping on the leather gloves, tying back hair and trying to not throw up from nerves.

That was mostly the younger ones, Kaida had a little tremor running through her hands but Charlie looked as confident as ever, even more so these days after deciding exactly what they wanted to do when they left Hogwarts - whether that was before or after they graduated. 

"I think we all know how Slytherin play by now - they don't abide or care about the rules. If there weren't other teachers in the stands I don't think they would hesitate to knock Madam Hooch from her broom." Charlie continued as Kaida smiled up at Angelina and got to her feet, making her way to stand besides him. "But let's be honest, they've put themselves at a disadvantage."

"We all know how they play." Kaida grinned. "We have the element of surprise. Nobody knows how any of you play, but they know you must be good, because me and Charlie chose you. Also Oliver had his say."

"And we're going to do well." Charlie added, before Oliver could chime in with something. "We know you're all going to play incredible, so please, don't listen to whatever the Slytherins are saying." 

"Oh we won't, Charles." Fred stood up, swinging his Beater's back around like he was already on the pitch. George ducked as it came towards his head, and beside them, Angelina and Rosa moved down the bench. "We'll do just fine, won't we George."

"What have you planned?" Kaida let out a sigh as she turned towards them as Charlie beckoned everyone towards the broomstick cupboard.

"You think so bad of us, Kai." George shook his head. "Who says we've got anything planned? We don't have anything planned."

"Yeah right." Charlie shook his head. "Fred - George, just get your bats. And don't hit Flint on the head with them either." 

"Oh we won't."

"I really don't believe you." Kaida called after them as she turned towards Charlie. "You ready for this?" She asked, as they watched Oliver, Angelina, Rosa, Fred and George leave the changing rooms and head towards the tunnel onto the pitch. 

"We've got the best team and you know it." Charlie grinned, slinging an arm around her shoulders as they followed them. "I think this is the only thing we're staying here for, right?"

"As if we're going to stay for the exams." Kaida laughed, shaking her head. "We stay for the Quidditch team. We picked a younger team, and I don't think we can leave Oliver in charge just yet."

"God no - he'd have them killed within five minutes." Charlie grinned, as they rejoined the rest of the group, taking their place at the front of the line. The Slytherins were joining them, waking slowly over to the tunnel from their changing rooms. "And don't forget what I said. We're gonna win."