The Ball 2

They kiss. Lady Capulet pulls Juliet away from Romeo, scandalized. Tybalt, too, saw, and moves threateningly to Romeo, only to be impeded by Mercutio. Benvolio frags Romeo away. Lord Capulet comes forward, and Tybalt tries to explain, but Capulet is not persuaded-he gestures towards the guests to continue dancing.

Ball 2 continues, though with a dark undercurrent. Tybalt pursues Romeo, looking for him. Other dancers are getting wise too; they start getting adversarial over perceived Montagues, including Benvolio and Mercutio. They try to persuade Romeo, drag him away, but he breaks off. Lady Capulet drags Juliet to Paris again, but Juliet keeps looking for Romeo.

The ensemble dance together, and the acrobats return. Tybalt stalks Romeo. Juliet tries to appeal to her mother, who disregards her. She goes to the Nurse.

Juliet: Nurse, who is that boy? I need to know!

Nurse: It's Romeo Montague, the son of your enemy!

Juliet: No!

Her shout stops the ball.

Tybalt: Montague!

Juliet: No...

She falls, hand outstretched to him, his to hers. Everyone Is frozen. A slow-motion Ball Reprise begins. The dancers slowly dance away, almost melting away like shadows, closing the scene.