Chapter 31: Letter

Valencia woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache. She stretched her arms and legs which cracked with a satisfying pop. She sat near her windows remembering the night before. It was the worst she felt in a while, the marks on her back paled in comparison to the invasion she felt on her skin. 

Right now, there was a bigger problem brewing. She could see a few aurors and people gathered near Hogsmeade, it seemed the body had been discovered. She couldn't show any weakness or change in her behaviour. She would have to go about her day as usual, all the while keeping her emotions and nerves in check. It was difficult but she'd persevere through it.

Next order of things was to get rid of the blood soaked clothes. She wanted to burn them, and honestly it was much more risky for her to take them outside than using magic to burn them. She had the man's wand and she could try using a fire making charm, the incantation and wand movements were simple and she had almost all spells she read fresh in mind thanks to her eidetic memory.

She hesitantly took the wand and went towards the bathroom locking it before gathering the blood-stained clothes into a heap. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves she steadied her hand pointing the wand towards the small heap.

"Incendio!" she spoke the incantation as perfectly as she remembered. A warm feeling coursed through her body and shot through her wand as she saw in amazement the clothes caught fire. 

 It made her feel complete, made her feel as if she belonged to this world now. She tried another spell and the tip of her wand lit up with a blue glow. And another to levitate the bar of soap. Shooting spell after spell she almost lost herself in the euphoria that washed over her from doing magic, she laughed heartily twirling on her feet forgetting the burning pile of clothes or the dead body across the alley or the aurors. Valencia then hurried to the Great Hall for breakfast.

...

She had arrived back at Hogwarts for a couple of weeks before her next mission and then the war. The great hall is a buzz this morning.

Each house amiss with activity, daily profits flipping from one hand to next in a hushed frenzy. Anxiety abound.

Owls danced just above her, casting shadows down upon unsuspecting students from the light pouring in courtesy of a transfigured ceiling. Piles of students were already packing up to head out for the day, each with a mask of nerves writ across their young features.

Looks like she picked a poor morning to lie-in.

The entire Gryffindor table seemed to grow rigid as she passed by. She took time to meet the eye of Harry Potter, doing her best to give him a devilish smile before making her way towards a sea of emerald. She didn't miss his scowl, nor the attempt of a threatening gaze from his ginger haired counterpart. Pathetic.

Valencia sauntered over to head a familiar silver hair, quick to take a dramatic seat next to her laughing cousin, while eyeing Daphne and Pansy with a curious smirk. They seemed particular jovial when juxtaposed with the rest of the hall.

Must be good news for us then.

The Gryffindors reaction to her passing seemed much less of a surprise then.

"Let me see.." She starts, taking the time to spin a perfect ebony curl in her left hand, emerald eyes pointed towards the ceiling in mock thought - ever the actress. "Did Umbridge finally release the list for top students in the Inquisitorial Squad?"

She was met with nearly half a table full of negative nods. Hm. She arched an eyebrow in response, resting her chin against her hand she tried again.

"Perhaps, the other Weasley menace also received a Quidditch ban along with those filthy blood traitor twins?"

Again no.

"Sprout finally got the sack?'

No.

"Hagrid?"

No.

"Did we manage copies of the potions O.W.Ls already?"

No.

"Salzar's sake! Did they finally agree to send all mudbloods back to the mainland? I mean-"

"Valencia." Draco interrupted. He was all smiles when she turned to him, despite the fact that he knew she was slightly peeved he cut her off mid thought.

He shared a brief glance with Theo and Blaise before turning back to her, a small smile still stuck on his face, vaguely reminiscent of the way he used to laugh with her when they were children. 

Valencia didn't have to post a letter to her father the next day, one arrived for her with the morning mail. Her father's short-eared owl dropped the letter into her hands, and her stomach dropped down to her knees. She tucked it into her book bag and tried not to think about it as they struggled through breakfast. The feeling in the room was undeniably somber. The Hufflepuffs looked miserable, the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors were split between sadness and shooting suspicious looks over at the Slytherin Table, and her own House was trying to pretend that they didn't notice.

Valencia finished off her porridge and excused herself. She headed for an alcove where she could sit and read her father's letter, hopefully without interruption.

Valencia,

Given recent events, there is much we will need to discuss once you return home. Rest assured that I am well, and have taken all measures necessary to ensure our safety in the coming days. Focus on your examinations. I expect you to perform to your usual standards of excellence, and I will not be pleased if you should allow yourself to succumb to current distractions.

I will see you at King's Cross in a week. Keep your head down, and try not to worry.

Regards,

Your Father

She read it twice more before burning the letter and leaning back against the cool stone of the wall. The use of the words 'our' and 'we' were reassuring, but there was still a knot in her gut. She could count on one hand the number of times he'd signed a letter as 'your father'. Usually only after she'd done something that especially pleased him.

She took a deep breath and stood. The Charms exam was in less than an hour and she needed her wits about her for that. She wasn't a genius like Nott or Granger, but she did well enough by working hard to make up for any lack of natural talent that some of her peers had. Most years she was solidly in the top ten in most of her classes. Her father would accept no less and Professor Snape had always counselled her to take advantage of her strengths to help mitigate her weaknesses.

"Everything alright?" Daphne asked, as she fell into step with her as they headed for the Charms classroom. "Seems to be, but with my father you never really know." She sighed. "Fair enough," she said with a sympathetic smile. "Listen, a few of us are going meet the night before we leave. You should be there."

"Who else is coming?" Valencia asked. "People we can trust to keep their mouths shut and their ears open. Don't tell any of your dorm mates," Daphne said.

"Where are we meeting?" Daphne was one of the quietest Slytherins in their year, but one that she was always a little wary of. Daphne did have a temper, and she remembered what she'd done to Montague last year after the older boy had pranked her. They'd needed to call Snape, and she had spent three months in detentions over it. Valencia still shuddered remembering the blood on the floor of the Common Room.

"First year Potions classroom, at eight," Daphne said.

"I'll be there," she said as they entered the main hallway.

"Good luck on your exam," Daphne said as they entered the classroom.