EIGHT

SMOKE

008.
Don't freeze on me.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Mercedes stood beside Fleur as a few of their fans came up to them to take photos. The girls both loved to hear about their fans and their stories.

A young girl, no older than fifteen ran up to Mercedes and wrapped her arms around her so tightly that she almost stopped breathing.

"Hey sweetie." Mercedes smiled and instantly wrapped her arms around the girls small frame. "What's your name?"

"Eliza." The girl smiled.

"And how are you today, Eliza?"

The girl always found it better to use her fans first names. It helped her to connect and actually talk to them. Rather than just take a quick picture and move on. Mercedes wanted to know all about the people who loved and supported her.

"I'm really nervous." The girl responded softly. Her voice was shaky as she spoke and pulled away from Mercedes. "I really love you."

"I love you too." Mercedes slightly tapped the girls nose and it made her whole face light up.

The girl anxiously fiddled with the sleeves of her jacket. Everything about the situation made her uncomfortable and it didn't take much for Mercedes to notice. 

"Are you okay?" The brunette questioned, her eyes softening as she gave her full attention to the girl in front of her.

"You saved my life." Eliza's voice quivered and tears began to pool in her eyes. It broke Mercedes heart to see, but she didn't cut in, instead she let the girl continue. "Last year, I went through a really rough patch. I had a lot happen with my family and I didn't feel like I was gonna make it."

Tears were now forming in Mercedes' eyes. She hated that the girl in front of her went through so much pain.

"I ran away and everything just got too much. But you helped me, just watching your films or interviews brightens up my day. I really owe you my life."

Eliza smiled at the girl. It was a heart broken smile but it still made her eyes sparkle.

"Two minutes." The security guard called.

"Can we get a photo before I have to go?" Eliza asked, she hated that everything was so rushed but she understood that others would want to see Mercedes too. Mercedes nodded and quickly snapped a photo with the girl.

"Fleur, I'm going for a smoke." Mercedes announced, Fleur nodded understandingly and watched as Mercedes walked out.

Mercedes stood outside and just took a few deep breaths. Everything was just getting on top of her and stressing her out. She just needed a few minutes to breath and zone out without a worry.

The brunette rested her back against the wall and anxiously fiddled with the rings on her fingers. She hadn't even noticed that Sebastian was now stood beside her.

"Fleur told me you were outside." He announced. Sebastian didn't miss the way that the girl jumped away from him.

Her hand rested over her heart as she could feel it racing. She hadn't expected him to be so close.

"Said something about you needing a minute or two to yourself. She said you looked upset." His eyes never left the girls. He watched as her shoulders slumped and she finally allowed herself to break.

He heard her quiet sobs and quickly pulled the girl into his chest. He held her tightly and she nuzzled her head into the crook of his neck. Sebastian felt her tears dampen his shirt, he didn't mind, he would much rather comfort her instead.

"I don't think I'm ready for this kind of responsibility." Mercedes cried. "I had someone just tell me that I saved their life. What happens if I can't save someo-"

"Hey." Sebastian pulled away and cupped the girls cheeks, using his thumbs to wipe away her tears. "Deep breath."

Mercedes took in a shaky breath, her eyes never left Sebastian's bright blue ones. She found comfort in them, they reminded her of the ocean and home.

Sebastian lowered his hands and allowed them to drop to his side. He didn't miss the way that Mercedes began to shiver. He wasn't that surprised, she only had on a thing beige top. The man quickly pulled off his leather jacket and wrapped it around the girls body.

"Don't freeze on me." Sebastian lowly chuckled. He brought his hand up to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. Mercedes couldn't help but nuzzle her head into the warmth of his palm. "They love you princess, they idolise you and you help them without meaning too."

"That's a lot of pressure though." Mercedes uttered.

The girl let out a long breath, she grabbed Sebastian's hand and began to fiddle with the ring on his finger. He watched the girl carefully, wondering what her next move was going to be.

"Sometimes I just like some space." Mercedes whispered, making Sebastian look at her. "And Fleur understands that. So I tell her I'm going for a smoke."

Mercedes gently pulled the ring off Sebastian's finger and slipped it onto her thumb. It was the only one it would fit on without falling off.

"So, you don't actually smoke?" Sebastian questioned, bringing his hand up to scratch the back of his neck awkwardly. Mercedes shook her head in response. "Well, then I should probably find someone who does to give them these."

Sebastian dug into the back pocket of his pants and pulled out two packets of cigarettes. He had bought them for the girl after Fleur had said that she had gone to smoke. He panicked that she wouldn't have any on her and wanted to make sure that he could stay with her.

"You're adorable." Mercedes laughed. Sebastian's heart warmed at the sound, it was one of those laughs where you could tell they had been crying but they were happy again now.

He pressed his lips longingly against her forehead, his hand cupping the back of her head as he did so. They didn't have long left at comic con, it wasn't until they went distant and didn't talk again. And he hated that more than anything.