Chapter 44

While pre-picking champions, it was possible to see what skins your teammates chose. Jian Rong remembered that before he had adjusted his runes, Tang Qin had been using the rare “PAX Twisted Fate” skin, not this 45 yuan couple skin.

Who would’ve expected them to match into a game with people they knew even while playing on Lunar New Year’s Eve. Jian Rong pulled up his teammate’s profile and took a glance at it. Tang Qin was a Diamond 1 player, and although her win rate wasn’t that high, it was still 53%. Her frequently used champions were all mid laners, so she should’ve been the one to climb up the ranks herself.

This game, Jian Rong was playing top lane Kalista. He absent-mindedly bought his items and walked out of the base. “Should we level 1 team fight?”

Lu Boyuan seemed to be occupied with something on his end, and he only answered a few seconds later. “No, they have Caitlyn and Blitzcrank. You can go to your lane.”

Jian Rong let out an “oh” before he turned around and walked towards the top lane.

[Xiao Tang Also Wants To Carry: Aren’t you guys really rather working too hard? Still duo queueing and training even on Lunar New Year’s Eve?]

Though she said “you guys,” it was obvious that she was just asking Lu Boyuan. Because he wasn’t familiar with her, Jian Rong didn’t reply.

As time dragged on, the sound of typing never came through his headphones.

A long while later, Lu Boyuan asked in voice chat, “Did you eat lunch already.”

“I did.” Maybe it was because before leaving, Ding-ge had instructed him countless times to eat properly, but Jian Rong added without thinking, “I ate noodles, with a poached egg.”

Lu Boyuan chuckled. “…how luxurious.”

Jian Rong was about to say something else when a message suddenly popped up in the chat—

[[All] Kongkong: Soft, what a coincidence, you also got placed into the top lane?]

[[All] Kongkong: God Lu and Tang Qin-jie are both here too ah… Happy new year, happy new year. Should I just straight up hand my points over this game and forget about trying?]

Jian Rong was startled. Only then did he realize the opposing top laner was actually Kongkong.

As two professional mid laners who both queued into the top lane, it was indeed coincidental.

[[All] TTC ་ Road: Happy new year.]

[[All] Just Watch My Gameplay: Then vote to surrender at 15 mins.]

[[All] Xiao Tang Also Wants To Carry: Kong, thankfully you aren’t playing mid, or else I’d be the one handing my points over…]

[[All] Kongkong: Can’t surrender, my teammates said they’re going to carry. Jie, what are you saying? Thankfully I’m not playing mid, you’re duo Q’ing with God Lu right now, if I play mid wouldn’t I just be ganked to death by him.]

[[All] Xiao Tang Also Wants To Carry: I’m not~ he’s Q’ing with Soft.]

Kongkong was playing Camille. Originally, he and Jian Rong were peacefully standing at the opposite ends of the lane staring at each other, neither side interfering with the other. But as soon as he sent that message, Jian Rong charged forward and threw a spear at him.