t w e n t y - n i n e

Seven's POV

Night had fallen and the group decided to setup a small little campsite in the middle of the field, and got a campfire going.

Crickets chirped and the fire crackled. The slight breeze brought on by the midnight made the overgrown and bloodied grass sway with it, the blades of grass dancing with the joyous laughter of the group.

Hopes have suddenly begun to soar high with our claiming of the land, some excitedly talking about the new possibilities just this field will bring us. Fortification, food, some sort of stability in our survival against the walking dead.

I lay by Carl, my head in his lap while he eats some game meat. He fingers gently stroke the top of my head, the feeling doing absolute wonders to my already sleepy and sore body. I don't bother begging for his food like I may have tried with Daryl, he's a kid. Needs tha' food.

Rick is still pacing around the perimeter, checking for any breaches.. has been for awhile now.

Daryl paces on top of a car that's on its side, I still look over to him every now and then but i'm pretty content here just enjoying the warmth of the fire and Carl's fingers going through my fur. My eyes close every now and then, and I have to force them to stay open.

Carl lets out a quiet childish laugh, making my ears perk up and my eyes open again to look at him, "You good there, Seven? Looking pretty tired." Carl asks with a small grin.

I mock glare at him, a grumble resonating from my chest. Some of the others laugh quietly at my behavior. As a little payback to Carl calling me out, I get up some and lay more of my body across him to 'crush' him. I smug doggish smirk playing on my lips. What'ya gonna do now, squirt?

Carl nearly falls back, a bunch of laughs just flowing out of his mouth as well as the others. Though theirs aren't as sporadic and radiant as the boy's I'm currently crushing. The little runt then wrapped his arms around my neck, "Aww, Seven wanted a hug?"  No. Absolutely not!

He basically had me in a headlock now, trapping me in a hug. The laughter only increased now at my demise. Yeah yeah, laugh while ya' still can. Better hide your stuff, bouta wake up and have holes in your undies.

An idea crosses my mind while in Carl's headlock. It's almost like Carl can sense it before it can happen because he goes to stop me, his hold loosening some, "Don't. Do it." Too late. Payback bitch.

I lick his face, leaving a slimy trail of dog drool. "Seven-!" He laughs while trying to cover his face, while I continue my barrage of attacks. My tail wags excitedly from side to side while I get my payback, eventually backing off when I deem that I've gotten enough payback.

I sit up, allowing him to get stable again, a triumphant smile on my face. I may be all tough sounding. But Carl will be an exception. And Beth.. and.. okay I admit it, most kids are an exception.

Carl sits beside me and pats my head with a grin before going back to his food. Lori pets my head whispering a small, "Thank you." Before returning back to her food.

Silence enveloped the group, that is until Glenn spoke up, "Mmm. Just like mom used to make." Glenn finishes munching on the.. whatever meat was left on the animals bone, before throwing the bone into the field.