26.

[CHAPTER 26 : PROS AND CONS]

The almost-kiss she had with Tristan haunted her every second after that

And now she was left with a million thoughts running through her head, not knowing what to do.

What would she say the next time she saw him? Would it be awkward? Would they pretend it never happened?

Did she want him back?

...

Yes.

So in true Gilmore fashion.

She made a pro-con list.

Pros:

1. He's hot

2. I miss him

3. He's the best to hang out with

4. He always makes me laugh

5. He loves me

Cons:

1. He doesn't know how to love me

And even though there were more pros than cons, that one con was enough to overrule the pros...

Right?

Every part of her wanted him back. But something was holding her back.

"Hey Juliet."

Bella looked up from her pro-con list and saw her best friend standing in front of her table at Luke's. "This seat taken?"

Bella smiled softly, "Of course not, sit."

Simon pulled out the chair and sat down supporting his head with his hands on the table. "So, long time no see," He stated, "What's the gossip? The 411?"

Bella let out a small laugh, "Nothing really to be honest."

Simon's eyes fell to the paper that sat in front of her, moving quickly to grab it before she could him. "Then what's this?"

Bella leaned over the table trying to grab the paper back from him, "Simon, give it back," She ordered him sternly, but he didn't listen.

"What are you hiding?" He said jokingly, beginning to scan over the paper, then the smile fell from his face.

"Simon!" 

Simon looked back at her, "Is this about Tristan?"

Bella sat back down and slumped down in her chair, her face turning red with embarrassment. There was an expression on the boy's face that she couldn't read. "Please don't be mad at me."

Simon's face softened, "Why would I be mad?"

"Because you don't like him."

"Well, yeah, but I'm not mad at you," Simon explained, "What's this about?"

Bella shoved her face into her hands, turning even more red, if that was even possible, "I almost kissed him," The words she said were muffled but he could still understand what she was saying.

She heard Simon sigh from across her. What she didn't hear was the sound of his heart breaking slightly. "Bella..."

Bella immediately took her face out of her hands, "No, you cannot judge me for that--"

"I'm not judging you Bella... I just want to know why."

Bella's face showed confusion, "What do you mean?"

Simon sighed looking at his best friend. "Why would you go back to someone who didn't take into consideration that his actions could lead to him losing you? And he's probably acting like he's a changed man because he wants you back, and then when he gets you, he'll just go back to his old ways, it takes more than a month to change old habits, Bella."

He was trying his best to remain calm while explain that to her, he wasn't sure if he had succeeded. The look on her face told him that maybe he could've said it more delicately. 

Maybe Simon was selfish in his reasoning for him telling Bella to not go back to Tristan. Maybe he didn't want to see Bella with anybody else even though he was still with Lindsay. 

Definitely selfish. 

But Simon knew that someday Tristan was probably going to leave his best friend heartbroken and he was going to have to pick up the pieces.

And he would rather not see his best friend heartbroken.

But who knows, maybe Tristan did change and that wouldn't happen, and the couple would run off into the sunset and have their happily ever after.

But Simon didn't want to see that either.

Completely selfish.

He saw the hurt in Bella's face and he immediately wanted to take back everything he said to her. 

"That sounds a lot like judging to me," Bella stated with a small pout on her face.

"Bella--" Simon began but she cut him.

"I know you don't like Tristan, and that's fine I get that. But as my best friend you have to understand the decisions I make, especially when they have nothing to do with you in the first place. If I want to get back with him, then I will, I don't need judgement from the one person who's meant to support my decisions, even if they're the wrong ones." Bella's voice slowly turned angry, but she was quiet enough to not get any attention from the other customers from Luke's.

Simon's eyes held sympathy, and she felt bad for getting angry at him. She knew he only wanted what's best for her, he was constantly putting her first, but this was not his decision to make. "Bella, I just want you to be happy." He put his hands on top of hers.

"I know Simon," Bella started, "And I love you for that, but even if this is a mistake, it's my mistake to make."

Simon nodded slowly, "I know, I'm sorry."

Bella smiled, and took a deep breath, "I'm gonna go."

"Uh, yeah, sure. I'm waiting for Lindsay anyways."

Bella nodded. She grabbed her jacket and made her way towards the exit.

This was why she didn't want to tell him. She knew that he would be upset if she got back with Tristan, and he had every right to be. Over the entirety of winter break, he saw what a mess she had become from the breakup. He was there for her, and she was so grateful for that.

But every time she mentioned Tristan, Simon got upset or tried to change the subject.

She couldn't even understand why he cared so much.

Rory caught them together and Rory liked Tristan just about as much as Simon did and Rory laughed about it. Why did Simon care? He had a girlfriend. And this was none of his business. 

"Bella?" 

Bella whipped her head to the direction of the voice and saw Rory walking towards her. Bella smiled softly.

"You okay?" Rory asked the girl and went to sit next to her on the curb.

"I'll be fine," Bella assured her sister, going to lean her head on Rory's shoulder.