03.

[CHAPTER THREE : MALE FRIENDS]

     The Gilmore girls were now sat at a table at Luke's diner, eating their dinner in silence (basically, Rory and Lorelai were just picking at their food while Bella actually ate.)

After about 10 minutes of sitting in awkwardness, Bella decided to break the silence by saying, "Well, I had a great day today, how about you guys?"

Lorelai ignored her daughter comment, looking to Rory saying, "So. You were late getting home tonight."

Rory finally looked up and came up with a quick lie, "Yeah, I went to the library." Bella, of course, knew that her sister was lying (for the first time ever, it seemed) as she saw her sister with Dean, but she wasn't going to sell her out.

"Oh." Their mother said, oblivious, "I forgot to tell you, we're having dinner with your grandparents tomorrow night."

Bella almost choked on her drink when she heard her mother say that. They only ate at their grandparents' house on holidays like Christmas and Easter, so hearing that they were going to have dinner with them, was a real shock.

"We are?" Rory asked, seeming fazed.

"Mm-hmm," Lorelai hummed.

"But it's September," Bella said, as though it was evident.

"So?" Lorelai asked.

"So, what holiday's in September?" Rory asked, backing her twin's point.

"It's not a holiday thing, it's just dinner, okay?" Lorelai insisted.

"Sorry." Bella and Rory both said.

Just then, Luke came with their dinner, putting all three plates down on their table. He wrote the check and added, just before he walked away, "Red meat can kill you. Enjoy." And walked away.

"So, I finished hemming your skirts today," Lorelai stated, trying to break the awkwardness once again.

"Great! Thank you so much, Mom!" Bella thanked her mother, while Rory didn't seem as happy as her sister.

Lorelai smiled at Bella but then turned to her other daughter saying, "A grunt of acknowledgment might be nice."

"I don't understand why we're going to dinner tomorrow night. What if I had plans? You didn't even ask me." Rory ranted.

"If you had plans, I would've known," Lorelai replied.

"True," Bella said, pointing her fork towards her mother.

"How?" Rory asked.

"You would've told me."

"I don't tell you everything," Rory countered, "I have my own things."