13.

[CHAPTER 13 : TOO LATE]

Friday had finally come around, and Bella was beyond nervous for her date with Tristan

Friday had finally come around, and Bella was beyond nervous for her date with Tristan. She didn't know what she was going to wear because Tristan never specified what the dress code was, no matter how many times Bella asked him. He wanted it to be a surprise.

The girls got out of Friday night dinner that night because someone in the family died, so Emily and Richard were at the funeral.

Bella and Rory had just arrived back at home after walking back from the bus stop when they heard the all too familiar raspy voice from next door. "Bella! Rory!" The two girls heard Babette call them and signaled for them to come over.

They walked up to Babette's porch, and she began saying, "Go find your mother, girls! The most horrible thing happened. Cinnamon--" Babette cut herself off with a sob. Bella and Rory looked to each other in panic.

"We'll be right back, Babette. Just hang in there," Bella told her soothingly before she and Rory ran to Luke's.

As soon as they walked in, Rory spotted their mother and went over to her. "Mom. You better come."

Lorelai looked at her daughter in confusion, "Honey, what's wrong?"

"It's Cinnamon," The twins said in sync.

The next thing they all knew, they were standing inside of Babette and Morey's abnormally small house listening to what happened. Of course, Bella was sad that the beloved cat was no longer around, she couldn't help but hold back laughter when Babette told them that she nudged the cat off the couch and slid across the room and knocked over the lamp, since she had just waxed the floor.

Bella had her arm around Babette, trying to comfort her while Rory was on the couch with Morey while she tried to comfort him.

"Listen, why don't you let me take her out to the van and then I'll be out of your way," The vet, who was standing next to the cat's body suggested, but Babette turned her down.

"Oh no. Stay. All of you, please stay. Cinnamon would want you here," Babette begged them.

"We'll stay as long as you want," Rory told her and Bella nodded.

And just like that, Bella's date with Tristan was the last thing on her mind, and she was at a wake for a cat.

Bella was standing alone near the entrance of the house when Simon walked in and saw his best friend standing alone. "Hey."

"Oh. Hey, Simon," Bella greeted, in slight surprise and gave her best friend a hug.

"What happened?" Simon asked in concern.

"Well, she was old. There wasn't anything to do. She was 260 years old in human years."

"Damn."

"Yeah."

The friends stood in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before Bella caught sight of the clock behind Simon's head. Her eyes widened in the realization that it was Friday, and that it was 7 o'clock. "Oh my god."