04.

[CHAPTER FOUR : DINNER]

     Arriving at the Gilmore house was much more dramatic than Bella thought it would be. Her sister and her mother were standing in front of the door to the mansion, while Bella stood behind them.

She frankly found it extremely weird that they were going to dinner there in the middle of September, but she was okay with it as long as she got to eat good food. There was something a little off with the whole 'dinner at the grandparents' ordeal, and Bella was planning on finding out... after she finished eating.

"So, do we go in or do we just stand here reenacting 'The Little Match Girl'?" Rory asked, rhetorically.

Lorelai turned to both of her daughter's but mostly only facing Rory. "Okay, look, I know you and me are having a thing here, and I know you hate me, but I need you to be civil. At least through dinner, on the way home, you can pull a Menendez. Deal?"

"Fine."

Then, they finally walked up to the door to ring the doorbell. The one and only, Emily Gilmore opened the door. "Hi, Grandma." Rory and Bella said together.

"Well, you're right on time," Emily said to them.

"Yeah, yeah, no traffic at all." Lorelai awkwardly said.

"I can't tell you what a treat it is to have you, girls, here," Emily said, also sounding slightly awkward but happy at the same time.

"Oh, well, we're excited, too," Lorelai said.

"Is that a collector's cup or can I throw it away for you?" Emily asked, gesturing to the cup of coffee that Lorelai held in her hand while hanging the coats on the coat rack. Lorelai went to throw it away, but Emily stopped her, "In the kitchen, please."

Emily then put her arms around her two granddaughters and began speaking to them and asking them questions about school, "So, I want to hear all about Chilton."

"Well, we haven't actually started yet," Bella said to her grandmother.

The girl's grandmother leads them into the living room, where they found their grandfather sat on the couch with a newspaper in hand. "Richard. Look who's here!" Emily said excitedly.

"Rory. Bella. You girls are tall," Richard said to them, which Bella furrowed her eyebrows at. She hadn't seen her grandfather in 6 months, and that's what he says to them.

"I guess," Rory said.

"What's your height?" Richard asked them.

"5'7"" Bella and Rory said simultaneously.

"That's tall. They're tall."

Their mother walked into the room as if to save the twins from confusion at how obsessed their grandfather seemed to be with their height, "HI, Dad."