CHAPTER 1: THE PARTY

What a night it was! Fred had thrown us three - Bob, Larry and me, a party at his place as he had finally got a job in Reynburg.

Four of us hail from a small town called Kyland and had come to Reynburg just 2 months back in search of jobs as we all led a miserable life of unemployment back in there even though we were aptly qualified. My father had helped us all settle once we were here. And destiny got kind on us when we came here as we soon got our jobs.

We all had been constant companions  and best friends since our early schooling days and had always been together since then. Bob Wilson and me, Liam Hall, your narrator, were the first to get an errand. We were simultaneously handed over our jobs as employees at the Mark Industries after one month of arrival. Then it was Larry Hughes, who got the job of a manager at the Serene Hotel just ten days back and now it was Frederick Williams 'Fred' who had now got the job as an editor for Hamilton Publishers and Co.

....

'Yeah sir, absolutely fine. I shall do that and submit the forms to you tomorrow morning only. You don't need to worry', said Bob as he entered Fred's house. Larry and I were already present there.

'What's up, Bob? You seem worried', I asked.

'Ah you know that fatso. My filthy boss. He wants me to submit a 30-page legit for the new Alpha Guidelines. That too tomorrow morning. Holy –'

'Um, you haven't disconnected yet, Bobby', said Fred as he came out of the kitchen.

Bob checked his phone in fright as he heard Fred's words. Obviously, Fred was joking. All of us cackled merrily.

'Look, look. Did ya all notice that ephemeral change in his face?', asked Fred cheerfully. Our cackle burst into laughter as our eyes followed Bob's shell-shocked face.

A comically angry Bob chased Fred into the kitchen as I and Larry continued with our sniggers.

For the next hour or so we were all busy playing different board games as Fred was busy preparing some lavish dinner. He had been famous in the college for his cookery skills and we always used to enjoy his food in all celebrations.

After an hour, Fred came out of the kitchen, putting aside his apron and whooped, 'Those who want to dance...'

We all looked up to him.

'... no need to raise your hands. Just dance, ladies!', he screamed, turning on the music player.

First it was Larry who leaped unto the couch and started dancing like a madman to the tunes. He was uncontrollable. He went on dancing as if it was the last day of his life. It was not a new thing to him or for us to witness. The thing which impresses Larry the most in this world is nothing but dance. And once he is there in his zone, it is very difficult to pull him out of it. He can also go on dancing in the absence of music.

After having a merry dance session, we all became tired and sat down to dine.

....

Finally, it was a great party by Fred and we all enjoyed it to the fullest. The atmosphere was filled with an aroma of different delicacies and the resonance of loud music. By the end of the party, we all had eaten up to our necks.

'Oh, I can't nibble anymore...', Bob said, giving out a loud belch which got all of us to cackle.

'Enough for tonight', I said and with this we left the dining table one by one.

Being a butterball for the greater part of his life was the biggest trait of Bob. Since childhood he had always been fond of eating. He had a fair complexion, stood at a height of one hundred and seventy-two centimeters and had the weirdest dressing sense among us all because of which he was often made fun of, mostly by Fred. He also had another bad habit-- he had no control over his mouth and it could get annoying at some situations.

Bob bade all of us good-bye and left for his home on his two-wheeler. I and Larry had some chat with Fred for about half an hour and then we too left. Fred was naturally a very nice person at heart and a handsome man who was the shortest among us. He was a wise man.

Coming out of Fred's house, Larry said to me, 'Oh God, I think I ate too much more than required. Need to walk back home. Will ya join me?'. Larry and I lived in the same building. He lived on second floor while I lived on fourth floor. We had come together by taxi from our building, The Grand Heights, adjacent to the Christopher Avenue Street which was two miles away from Fred's house. I was also feeling very full so I decided to accompany him in walking. Therefore, I affirmed with his suggestion. With this we started our walk back home.