CHAPTER 24: DISBELIEVE

'What? Who?'

'The spirit at the Warwick's. Yes Liam. The way it hunted Larry, the fact cannot be denied that it is now eyeing you, Liam'

'Whoa! What rubbish you're talking about, Father? The spirit shit? I don't believe in all those made-up stories', I replied back in frustration, moving back a bit. 'By the way... How can you be so sure about it that it's a ghost only?'

'Not only sure but I also have proofs about its existence. Oh Liam, you gotta believe me son'

I scoffed and snatching away that coin from his hands, started walking away saying, 'See, I am not gonna believe in all those spirit, supernatural stuff. Anyways, it was nice meeting you. I admire your sense of comforting. Have a nice day, Father'

'Listen! Listen to me Liam!'. He went on wailing at me from behind to make me stop and listen to his words. But I was already near the gate.

'Oh Father, I gotta get to my boss. Otherwise, he is gonna chop the bones out of my body. Will see ya later'

'Liam! Trust me. You are going to be in a huge trouble. You will... You will come back to me, searching for me desperately... You heard that...'. His voice became louder and confident. '... You are gonna get back to me, Liam—'

Slowly his voice faded away as I got to the street to get a taxi and get to my office. After finding one, I got seated in it and set out to my destination.

What is it that Father Richard was talking about?

Ahh! It's nothing Liam. You know well there's nothing like ghost or spirit. They are just stories made by grandmas to creep the hell out of the children to make them sleep. You are not a boy. Either Father is deceiving you or the Church has deceived him.

You still need to cope up with Larry's demise. Focus on that. Focus on your life, both personal and professional.

It was when boss called me. 'Where are you, Liam? We're running late'

'Yes sir, am on my way'

'Come fast. We have a lot of topics to discuss upon'

I turned off my phone in disgust.

Now call me you bastard.

I gave out a sigh and started witnessing the weather outside till the time I reached my office. It was going to rain soon.

I had never believed in ghosts in my entire life. And I was not going to believe then too.

But you saw what happened to Larry. Wasn't his condition a bit too weird? You had noticed it better than anyone else did.

Yeah but that can be scientifically explained. He had gone catatonic. He had gone insane, Liam. Grow out of it. He's gone and you can't just stick to it anymore.

Giving out another sigh, I noticed that it had now started to drizzle.

The only thing you can do now is to be a support for the Hughes family. Help them to cope with the loss of their beloved boy.

I could see my destination now.

Why? Why Father Richard's words are eating your mind? You know well it's not true. Then why is it producing a rebellion?

Arghh

I closed my eyes in frustration and then again looked outside. It was raining now. Enough rain for an umbrella to join the game -- but realizing that I don't have one made me scoff.

Finally, I was there at my office. Paying off the fare, I ran into the building using my coat as a barrier between me and the rain.