CHAPTER 12: SILHOUETTE

That evening I decided to spend a night at Larry's place. I just did not want him to feel alone. It was very difficult for me to see him in that condition. I had seen both the best and the worst days of Larry but I had never seen him like that. He was really suffering.

That night I tried to make dinner as delicious as I could. I was pleased that Larry liked it. After having dinner, we had some video game time together and then I let him sleep peacefully on his bed after giving him his medicines. I took a pillow and a blanket with me from Larry's wardrobe and went out for the living room to sleep on the couch. While leaving Larry's room I looked carefully at his face. It looked quite opposite to what I had seen at Dr. Eastwood's chamber. He looked quite peaceful while sleeping. The calmness on his face was extremely satisfying for me. The scene put a broad smile on my face. Then I went out to the living room shutting the door behind me and lay myself down on the couch.

What is it that is bothering Larry? What can be the cause for his depression? Is he really in depression? Then why would he hide it from us? We are the closest ones to him. The nightmares. I haven't have had such horrifying nightmares ever. Oh Jesus! Please save my friend.

Slowly I went into my slumber.

........

Plink.....plink.....plink....

The sound of slowly leaking water was echoing all around the flat when suddenly the sound of drops changed into that of running water.

Huh! What's that?

The burble of running water woke me up from my couch sleep. I looked up at the clock which reflected back 2:05.

What is Larry doing now?

I followed the sound and then reached the kitchen. The tap of the sink was turned open. I ran towards it and closed it.

Who left it open? Wait.... Who turned it open? There was no one around.

'As per the latest meteorological reports, strong wind is predicted in and around the district of Reynburg tomorrow evening. The meteorological department....'. The radio in the dining hall was turned on suddenly.

'Larry!... You there?'. No response.

'Buddy, what are you up to now?', asking so I reached the dining room and I could not believe my eyes. The radio was turned on by itself. Larry was fast asleep in his bedroom. Suddenly the tone of the speaker on the radio became heavy and evil.

'I will get him... I will get him... I will get him... -', it was constantly repeating these words again and again. Then it stopped abruptly and the same old silence spread over the house again.

'Who's there?', my terrified voice broke the silence. I got hold of the coffee cup which lay on the dining table for defense and stood there at the corner of the room, petrified. My fear was beyond words to explain. No one was there. There was utter silence.

Plink.... plink.... plink....

The sink tap had again started leaking. I started looking all around the house. I was perspiring heavily. My shirt had been drenched with sweat. Suddenly I noticed a silhouette at the window. It was dark and had a humanly figure. It was looking outside. It was not clearly visible to me in the ubiquitous darkness of the room. I stressed my eyes upon the creature when it turned and faced me and slowly started walking up to me. With every approaching footstep, the pounding of my heart was slowly increasing. I closed my eyes with fright and was waiting for that silhouette to do something to me. After a few moments I opened my eyes and found no one in front of me.

'Looking for me bloke!' The shout came from my back. I fell down facing the floor with shock and when I turned back with amazement. No one again.

'Oh! Who the hell are you?!', I screamed, throwing the cup down on the floor in rage after getting onto my feet. 'What game are you playing with me? Why don't you show me your pretty face? Confront me you bastard!'.

'Not now Liam. There's enough time for us to spend', the disembodied voice echoed in the room.

*Flash*

I was awakened now and was seated on the couch. I was still sweating. As soon as I got aware of my surroundings, I walked with a brisked pace towards Larry's room. Opening the door, I saw Larry sleeping with utter tranquility. It gave me a sigh of relief. I came out of his room and shut the door silently.

Oh! That was a dream. Phew! So scary it was!

My eyes ran across the house. Then what I saw astonished me. The coffee cup which I had held for my defense in the nasty dream was not there on the dining table where I had left it some hours before sleeping. The cup was broken into pieces and was lying there on the floor exactly where I had thrown it in the dream. I was completely shocked at that. It gave me a chill.

Was it really a nightmare? Or...