CHAPTER 53: SILVER

I slapped shut the diary and glanced up at Father. I had read it all aloud. I expected triumph in his eyes but what I was looking at was concern. At that particular moment I could genuinely see a father in him.

Only the victim can contain them. And who's the victim we need? That's right! Fucking right! That's me!

I put the diary down on the floor and took his hands in mine. 'Don't worry, Father'. I was literally going to speak out 'dad'. 'It'll be alright. We have no other way. Do we? I am destined to kill the curse. I am destined to be the only one who can spare the people of Reynburg from this omen; even after being an outsider. It's a blessing upon me and I am really glad I have been choosen as a part of it. You need to help me, Father'

The apprehension had faded a little; but not yet gone. I continued, 'Won't you do this for your brother? He has been your inspiration, hasn't he? You started all this because of him and will you pull out now? You have the cure before you. We gotta amputate the curse, Father. And I am pretty sure determined about it!'

He could perhaps see the will in my eyes and now he was content. By mentioning his brother, I had instilled the long-lost perseverance in him. He nodded slowly to help me. 

'So... We need the coin to burn, isn't it?', I asked Father.

'Do you have it now?'

'You never know', I said giving a faint, nervous smile. 'It has a history of migration'. I checked all the pockets on my jacket, shirt and trousers but it was nowhere. I was about to lose my cool when the idea made its inception. 'Let's get to my house', I said.

****

And then after a two-hour ride, we reached my apartment. Crazy traffic, I thought as we closed in. After I got my car parked, we started towards the stairs through the lobby. 

'How you doing, sir?', asked Blake as he saw me. 

'Never better, my man', I replied, trying to repress the worry on my face and forcing a smile. 

As we got into my house, I noticed it never looked this eerie and sinister. The sun was just about going down the horizon and the faint sunlight was cast upon the house as a fading mist. The soft, chill breeze flowing through the open windows were making the curtains flutter. The tiles made me feel like I was standing on ice. I could make it alright - They know I know. 

'I don't think it will get to you', I muttered to Father slowly. 'You stay here, am gonna have a look around'. I made him sit on the chair sofa just beyond the hallway and started searching. First, it was its favorite place - the Bedroom.

I checked all over the room -- over the bed, under the sheets, the mattress... around the wardrobe, the vase, the mirror. But nowhere. I looked under the bed through the flashlight of my phone. Still absent. I noticed some notifications from Bob. I hadn't picked up his calls all day. 'Busy', I typed and sent him before I started for the kitchen. Father looked up at me curiously as I crossed him through to the kitchen. I shook my head in disapproval. 

As I got into the kitchen, I checked the floor first and then the cupboard. Nothing. Then I faced the refrigerator. The blood-red breads flashed before my eyes, giving me a nauseating feel. I winced a little and then moved on to open it with an unknown fear and hesitation. I opened the door slowly in anticipation. But there was nothing except for the fresh vegetables, milk, some juice bottles and an overnight dessert. I shut it back and checked the wall and base cabinets. Still nothing. I was getting anxious now. 

I ran in to the utility room. Besides all the trash and household accessories there was no coin. Not even a regular one. I got back to the living room where Father Richard was sitting. 'Don't have any sitting?', I asked him as I started checking under the couch. 'The fellow priests will look over it... Not getting it?', he asked. I stood up and then sat down beside him, giving out a sigh and shaking my head. 

'We need to find it, Liam, at any cost... It has to be somewhere'

'I checked it all around, Father... It isn't. I could sense the foul play as I moved in. They know we know everything now. It's Edward. He's in me. He's their slave. He saw it. He reported it... They have taken it away in an effort to guard it'.

'So what now? It --'. He stopped suddenly in his speech. Something dawned upon him. 'Hey, I think I know where it can be'. I shifted my glance at him. 'It must be back in the mansion', he said. 'See, the coin can teleport itself only between the source and the sink. Haven't you realized it? It's cursed, it's bound. You're the sink here and the source --'

Standing up abruptly, I rushed in to the bedroom and pulling out a jacket from the wardrobe, started at the front door. Father Richard also got up and started following me. I turned towards the kitchen and got a packet of matchsticks. I pushed them down into my trouser pocket and then both of us walked down to the main door.

'You sure you gonna come with me?', I asked him as he joined me at the door. 

'Every time', he said.