CHAPTER 23: "IT'S YOU"

It was afternoon time and the funeral was over. Everyone had gone. Fred had driven the Hughes family to Larry's apartment and they would leave for Kyland two days later, my father joining them too. All had left the place but I hadn't. I was sitting there on a bench alone in the vacant cathedral, having loosened my tie and collar. Only one thing was still revolving in my mind.

It was when a voice called out from behind, 'Hey there mister! I suppose it's the break time. What are you doing here all alone?'. I turned back and saw a cleric standing there, smiling at me.

I stood up and wished him afternoon. 'Good afternoon, Father'.

He looked closely at my face and walked up to me.

'Good afternoon Mr. Hall! ...um... Liam. Nice to meet you again!'

'Um... Pardon, do I know you?'

'Ah I see you have forgotten. Remember. Bus, your friend, ...'

'Oh ya ya yes! Nice to meet you Father Richard. It's just that I had been vague. I remember that day, your comforting words. They really had cheered me up'. I laid out my hand and we shook hands.

'Ha! What made you come here at this time?... Alone. I can smell something's lousy'

'Oh... What can I say?... Things have gone upside down since then... My friend Larry...'

'Yeah, Larry. So that's his name. How's he? Has he been fine?'

I sighed.

'He's no more, Father'

'Oh Jesus! May the Almighty guide his soul to the path of deliverance. Amen', he said, imitating a cross over his torso. 'I am really sorry for your loss. How did that happen?', he asked with concern.

'That day only he went catatonic. He almost smashed and stabbed my friend, Fred by the way, to death. Because of that he had to be admitted in an asylum. But he got discharged soon after and came back home. We had been trying to bring things back to normal when...'

'I am listening'

'He.. he.. um... Committed suicide.... Out of his depression perhaps, which had made him furious'

'Oh poor boy'

I sat back on the bench with abhorrence, holding my brow. Father Richard came closer to me and patted his palm on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

'Don't worry, Liam. Just pray for the peaceful departure of his from this mundane world'

'Hm, yes I know that Father. It is the loss which I cannot get over'. I stood up as father Richard inhaled sharply.

'Let me drop you home'

'You have a car?'

'Um... yes'

'Then what made you catch a bus that day?'

'Oh, my car had broken down that day. So I had to'

'Oh... I see. Let's go then'. With this we started walking along the nave to the door.

'Let me tell you something, Liam'

'Hm'

'The thing which I admire about you the most is your clean heart. Just hold it right where it is. In this type of grim situation, just let it hold fast. Do not let it slip'

'You are right, Father'

'And try to move on as soon as possible, hm?'

'Yeah, Father'

Now we were at the narthex door. We faced each other. Father Richard clasped my hands, as an act of comforting me and said, 'I know you will get over it'.

'Thank you, Father. Your wise words once again came to my rescue, and this time I needed it badly. Thank you again', I said with a smile on my face, placing my other hand on his hands.

It was just when my phone rang. I took it out from my right trouser pocket. It was my boss.

'Yeah boss... Hmm, I am gonna be there in an hour. Ya, ya I have prepared the report and will send it to Will tonight after final touches.... And that yeah, I am gonna look into it as soon as I reach there. Ok sir, Thank you. Bye'.

I hung up the phone and looked up at Father Richard. I was astonished looking at his face. He looked extremely flabbergasted and was holding the coin which Larry had got from the Warwick's. That must have fallen off my pocket when I took out the phone. I had been carrying it as a memento of Larry.

'Oh Jesus... How? How can it-', said Father Richard, horrified like anything.

'What, what happened Father? You look terrified. Everything's fine?', I asked him.

'Did you go to that mansion?', he asked.

'Which one? What are you talking about?'

'The Warwick's. You went there?'

'Yeah... Larry and I. Some months back. Why? How do you know that? What happened?'. Now I was also visibly horrified.

He backed away, staring at my face. He seemed aghast than ever.

'Oh. My. God!', he exclaimed.

'Father, will ya tell me what is it?', I asked in apprehension.

'It is going... to come after you, Liam. It's you now. It's your turn!'