CHAPTER 35: PARTING

Early afternoon the next day, I had got an appointment with Dr. Eastwood. Pretty much the similar case like that of Larry's, he would say, what it seemed to me. The nightmares, the alternate gory reality out there, the strange happenings - all of these hinted at some big catastrophe. I had been visibly shaken but still not broken down - which had happened with Larry. Quite a strong man with arms he was, but perhaps, not by the brain. I suppose these games being played up in our mind - like a grueling opera with its subdermal tone - was rather bigger than what could have been guessed or expected.

And now the game was getting deeper and deeper with passing time. The nightmares getting filled with all its cruor around the centre, it was becoming a different ball game now. The more I had been trying to get out of it, the more I was getting tangled up.

That day, Murph and Rick were returning back to Cardiff. She had been unknown to my muddled-up state and I didn't even want her to know about it... ever. She had her own family and business to look after. His husband - a good but confused man - he needed her. Her kid's pre-school was going to reopen after vacations and it was Murph who was very specific about her child. Jack was like another vagabond to this busy world. A peevish man for whom getting a good job in Cardiff was as difficult as an Inuit trapped in a hailstorm in Northern Greenland searching for shelter.

I had hardly ever liked him much and was really astonished when I had got to know about him after Murph disclosed about her conjugal decision to the family. I couldn't believe that a wise woman like her could have chosen him. But love is blind, isn't it?

It was five hours to her flight and we were having a conversation in the living room while she was checking on her belongings.

'You sure you're gonna be fine? You seem a bit worried', she said.

'Do I? Nope. I see you as a worried woman', I answered, trying to keep my nervousness at bay.

She chuckled and then looked up to me. 'Had a chat with dad?', she asked.

'Yeah, last night only. He was fidgety about his new neighbor. A hefty man, he said, bearded and looking like a criminal'. We laughed.

'How much has dad changed! There were days when we used to boast in our school about our dad's thew, remember?'. Laughing, I nodded my head fast and playfully.

'Jack tells me he has to go to London in search of some new job. You know, I am quite worried about him', she said.

'See, I had just told you'. She sighed and smiled.

'Yeah... I really love him... and I cannot see him like that. It's just that. While we were in college, he used to be a different person. I, myself, used to be a different person until we came across the harsh realities of life'. I walked up to her and hugged her from behind.

'Everything's gonna be fine, sis. Just hold fast to your family, your life, your business. It's just a matter of time. I am sure Jack will settle down someday soon and you all will have a wonderful life ever after'

Then came a horrible sound, from the kitchen. Something falling down hard. Then followed the heavy squeal and cry of Rick. I was petrified now, all of a sudden.

No. Not another ghostly thing now. Not with Rick again. Isn't it enough if it happens only with me!

I and Murph rushed to the kitchen in haste and as soon as we reached it, what we saw made us burst into cackles. Rick had been playing in the kitchen. Last night I had got some bread flour and stored them in a jar on the upper self. While playing with his sponge ball, Rick had accidentally hit the jar and all the flour was now on him. He looked like a baby Eskimo.

....

An hour later Murph and Rick were prepared to leave. Rick had to take a bath again to clean himself up.

Rick was running down to the lobby by the stairs while I and Murph were carrying all the luggage and going down slowly.

'Easy baby!', she called out to Rick. When we reached down to the lobby, the taxi had already got to the outer gate. Rick was already seated in. After loading the luggage in Murph said to me, 'Gonna miss you, Liam'

I took her hands in mine and said, 'Don't you think I will?'. She smiled.

'Take care of yourself', she said and then got into the cab.

'Bye uncle Liam!'

'Bye, darling'. With this I waved them goodbye and the taxi disappeared in the traffic in no time. Once again I was filled with loneliness and as a universal fact... When you are lonely... things are definitely gonna get more harsh.