CHAPTER 10: VOICE

It had rained heavily the previous night. The aroma of soil was distinctive in the atmosphere. Now the weather was overcast with a soft, cold breeze flowing. It seemed as if it was going to rain again after sometime. I stood by my bedroom window holding a cup of coffee in my hand, occasionally blowing at it to cool it down a bit.

The sinister.... has...... begun!

What does that mean? What sinister was he talking about? It was he or someone else-

Na! That can't be possible. Ghosts and spirits are imaginary and overrated in this world of science. They are nothing but just parts of Grandma's fables. Oh Liam! Are you having some kind of next level nightmare? But how can that be. That guy got your arm broken.

Ahh! What is this happening with Larry and me?

Suddenly through the window, I could see Larry going out of the building.

Hmm... Poor Guy. Must be in search of some fresh air.

I focussed on my coffee and had just taken my first sip when I saw Blake imitating some signs at me when I looked back downwards. He looked both concerned and afraid. I kept the cup on the shelf nearby and ran downstairs to reach fast.

'S-s-sir!', Blake stuttered on seeing me running towards him.

'What happened?'

'Larry sir-'

'Yeah what?'

'His eyes were dark black and when I greeted him morning, he gave me a horrific stare and pushed me back vigorously almost making me to fall.'

'Oh my God! Now what happened to that man'

I ran fast in his direction. He had walked far enough. I had to chase him down through the Crimson Road to catch him.

'Hey hey hey! What? Where you going? Gosh! Your eyes! Did you put some vinegar in 'em'. His eyes were really dark. The whole eye.

'Salvation. Salvation. Salvation'. He was going on muttering this word repeatedly.

'Hey Larry can you hear me?!'. I juddered him vigorously. It was when the horrific black in his eyes faded and it appeared as if he got back to his senses. He kneeled down on the road.

'Are you fine? Or are you playing some kind of stupid game?' This time I was furious at him.

'What am I doing here? When did I come here? Oh God I don't remember anything. What is this happening with me?'. He hung his head down and started weeping. This gave way to empathy rather than anger and frustration in my heart.

'Stand up buddy, stand up'. I tried to help him get back on his feet using my unbroken arm. 'Let's get back', I continued. With this we headed back to Larry's flat.

.......

On returning, I lay him down on the bed. I could sense he was in some great mental stress lately. 'Let me have you a glass of water', I said to him.

I got to the kitchen, pulled the bottle of chilled water out of the refrigerator and was just going to pour the water into the glass when-

'It's gonna be you next'. A muffled voice echoed in my left ear. Frightened and astounded, I turned to my left but no one was there. I filled up the glass with water and turned back to proceed to the bedroom. I had hardly walked a couple of steps when-

'We will come after you after we get Larry'. The obscure voice followed me from behind.

'Who-Who's that?'. Frightened and astounded, I turned around sharply. No one.

'Liam!'

This time it was not a muffled call, it was a scream, an aghast, terrified scream. It was Larry's. I dropped the glass of water on the linoleum floor and ran towards Larry in agony. He had woken up and was sitting on his bed looking continuously at a dark corner of the room. He was perspiring heavily.

'What happened? You fine?'

'Loo-look there'. He pointed at the corner and continued, 'There's someone standing there. A shadow. My God! It looks terrible. Look how he's glaring at me.' He was looking perplexed and panic-stricken.

'But there's no one there!', I shouted.

'No no no! It's there. His eyes are blazing now. His worn out hands are reaching out at me!'. He tried to back off when I turned on the lights of the room and then he came to a halt.

'Gosh! Where did it go?', he settled down.

'I guess you should sleep now. Now only!', I almost screamed at him but there was a tinge of concern in my lines.

'You know what! I saw another spine-chilling dream. It seemed so real! I was scared like anything. This time I saw a-'

'I...am...seriously not interested in any of your dreams, Larry. I want you to sleep now'

'Ok ok'. Then he lay back on his bed, closing his eyes and trying to sleep again. I trudged at him and put the sheet on him. Then I walked back to the living room and stood there silently for some moments before calling Fred.

'Fred. I need you here. Try to reach ASAP!'