CHAPTER 32: BACK HOME

'What do you mean you lost it?!', my sister yelled at me as Rick narrated her whatever had happened – not about the particulars but about the accident and bruises only. Murph's meeting had been over and we were all now in my flat. She was both furious and concerned at the same time. Her most precious chattel would have been snatched away from her only because of me – her brother.

'I can't recall... Have been trying to tell you that for an umpteenth time now Murph... Please tryna understand! The hell I don't know how it all happened!'

'What if you hadn't slowed your car down? What if the train –'. She couldn't continue further, dropped down to the couch and started sobbing. All horrific thoughts must have started running through her mind at that very moment as her face got sinking behind her palms and she went on sobbing. I was standing by her side, resting my hand over her shoulder and patting it occasionally. It was my mistake – a horrible one – and I pretty well understood that.

What if the train had run over the car and crushed my little baby boy?  My mind just completed her words. I was filled with disdain and all I hoped for was if I could just forget whatever had happened over there.

'I am sorry Murph', I said as I crouched against her and then took her face in my hands. 'I promise nothing like that will ever happen again. I swear... and you gotta believe me'

Rick had been standing beside and then he went away to the other room to play with his toys. Murph's face again fell down and she couldn't seem to stop her whimpering cry.

'Hey! –'. I hugged her and tried to console her. She hugged me back tight. It was then the bell rang. I slowly let go of my sister and went up to the door. Frederick it was.

'Hey, is it true what you just texted me about? An accident... Really?', he asked.

'Ah, yes'

'Gosh! Thank God you are safe'

'Rick was there with me too'

'What?!'

'Yes'

'How's he?! Oh my God... That's –'

'Let's cut it out here', Murph called out from behind. Her face was still soaked with tears as she was trying to wipe those away with tissues. 'I – I guess it's all gone now. Some... Something peaceful is what I want presently. I don't want my emotions to fly over me. Tell me. How have you been, Fred?', she asked monotonously.

'I have been fine yet. Sorry, you didn't tell me how's Rick?'

'Oh, he's fine', I said. Fred sighed with relief. 'These countryside roads ya know!'

'It's not the road. It's –'. I sighed. 'Leave it... I will brief you later'

'I need to get some rest, Liam. Am going to the bedroom', Murph said and went to fetch Rick and then they both slipped into the bedroom.

'Shit, that's horrible!', Fred remarked.

'I guess we can leave it behind, Fred', I said.

'Of course. But I really wanna know how it all happened'. I scoffed and then narrated him about the incident.