CHAPTER 46: BANISHMENT

Edward opened his eyes suddenly and before Mr. Frank could do something about it, he had to deal with a mighty kick, right on the middle of his torso, closer to his diapragm I suppose. Gasping, he fell back with a loud thump and his face could reflect how terrible the blow was. Shaun sprang forward to hold Edward but Edward shoved him by his chest and made him fall down by Mr. Frank's side, who was spitting blood now. Perhaps he had broken a rib. He was holding, in torment, the lower part of the right side of his chest, supposed to be his last rib bone, the floating one.

'You know what, Father... You cannot kill me. You cannot make me disappear. I am a part of Edward now and we are gonna show the world what's the power of the Devil. Even if you kill him, you cannot destroy us... astrally even. It's all about what you choose. Edward chose us... and you cannot hinder the process. After that bloody brawl with the church back in 1854, this is our time for resurgence. This is our time to rally together. Dust will be sweeter to ya all, we swear'. He leaned closer to Mr. Frank who was coughing and wheezing repeatedly, holding his chest in pain. 'You know what, you can't kill us. Ha! You fucking can't!! So stop pretending to be a hero and bear with what you deserve'.

Standing up, Edward kicked on his face which made more blood splutter out of his mouth and broken nose. Giving out a loud cackle, he looked at Shaun, who tried to get up and run away, perhaps to call for help. He looked worried and concerned about Mr. Frank. But Edward threw his hand in his direction which invisibly shoved him on his back and made his head hit the edge of the jamb of the door. Whining, he slowly started losing his consciousness and fell down on the floor. Looking back at Edward, he eventually lost sense.

'I know I cannot harm or kill you...', Mr. Frank said. Edward looked down at him. '... Neither harming Edward would be of some help. You're right... But... I can contain and banish you'. And then, grasping the bottle of Holy Water from his side, he threw all what was in there remaining upon Edward. That fell on him with a splash, right from his face to his chest. He was flung back and then what followed was again a long, continuous scream.

Edward fell down and started groaning and screeching loudly, trying to tear off the cloth over his chest and struggling to impede the pain. His skin was burning again.

It was when Mr. Frank got up onto his feet, and removing his cross locket, pointed it at him, closing his eyes and placing his hand over his chest, and then started, 'In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit...'

Edward's yelling intensified. His roars started echoing all over the house. The Holy Water had weakened the hold of the spirits and the Scriptures had started to do their work. With all the treachery starting to be simmered down, Edward's body seeemed to be in severe physical paroxysm.

'Most glorious Prince of the Heavenly Armies,
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in our battle against principalities and
powers...'

Edward was starting to scratch his neck. His eyes were filled with rage interwined with pain and suffering. He stretched his hand at the priest, holding his neck with the other, trying to reach to him but some heavy force was holding him back.

'... against the rulers of this world of darkness,
against the spirits of wickedness in the high places'.

The windows, doors and furniture of the house were juddering now. A fracas of sorcery was taking place. The Devil's freaking men were going on roaring perpetually while Mr. Frank, the priest, a master exorcist, what it seemed, was displaying his craft before them.

He continued, 'In the name of the Lord, I condemn Edward Warwick to this mansion... With his soul tied to this very blood-stained coin...'. Mr. Frank looked at that coin closely. It was not intentional. Just the word coin made him look at it. He didn't have an option. I could see it clearly in his eyes. The evil had to be contained fast.

The stains had dried and darkened. It was symbolic of the pain and suffering the family members would have been subjected to. Mr. Frank's heart must have filled with compassion.

Just for a second his attention was feeble and that gave Edward a chance to retaliate. He sprang forward, jumped onto him, such that his knees fell upon Mr. Frank's chest, and then he bit his forehead fiercely, like a vamp. Mr. Frank screamed. There was no sanity in the attack. He was biting as if to munch it down to his brain. Mr. Frank was trying to shove and free himself, but he had been overpowered. He fell down, with Edward on his chest and feeding on his brain

Oh no!

Mr. Frank looked despondent now. He knew if he did not do anything, not only Edward will kill him but also a deadly soul would be let free into the open world which would welcome only chaos and affliction.  Shaun was lying unconscious, so it was just him against the mighty Edward.

This was not some other spirit. It was a blend of some huge force broken loose. A force which should never be dared with. I don't think it was about the two men now -- who had made Edward their puppet. It was the belief and devotion of Edward in false spiritualism which diversified the effect, loosening the rope too much than it should ever have been. And it was not some rope of hemp or cotton, it was of strong superstition and belief -- a vehemence no way feeble in comparison to steel.

In his impetuosity to break free Mr. Frank suddenly uttered out, 'And that he would never be able to leave this accomodation until someone finds out the coin'

And then Edward jerked and stopped. He raised his head up. His mouth was bloody. He looked flushed. Shaun was beginning to regain his sense and was squinting as he was trying to get up.

Mr. Frank slowly raised his hand and touching Edward's forehead continued, 'From this moment, all the evil souls, alongwith Edward, are the slaves of the very silver coin'

Then Edward let go of Mr. Frank and lay down beside him. Mr. Frank got up, giving out a sigh. There were tears in Edward's eyes and he was smiling a little. 'Thank you, Father', he said and then closed his eyes. Mr. Frank nodded.

Edward started juddering vigorously and then all the dark souls screamed out of him. He opened his mouth and what came out was a gale of ashes. His eyes also opened, widened, giving a strong stare to the ceiling. The ashes blowed up and started revolving around the hall. Both the Church men were looking up at the ashes in bewilderment and anticipation.

The intensity of the wind was getting stronger with each passing second. It went on to revolve around just like that, intensifying itself for half a minute until it just disappeared into thin air, alongwith the ashes, and Edward just lay there with his eyes and mouth wide open, a scene which would seem capricious for a child but what would strike horror in an adult's mind.

Shaun walked up closer to Mr. Frank. 'You know what you just did, right?', he asked.

'Certainly'. He sighed. 'I was... I was... distracted and was rushed to do it. Never knew that could happen but you know... He was something else. The power. That's too overwhelming. Killing it was by all means out of bounds for me. Containing it was the only restraint'

'How's your head?'

'Swollen, painful and disgusting'

'Now what? You told he would be back again when someone finds the coin. The spell. I don't get it'

'It's not what I wanted to say. I was forced to, Shaun. What I know is that I have banished him to this house and he would never be able to come out until someone finds out the coin'

'What if he comes out?'

There was a brief moment of silence after which Mr. Frank said, 'Well... It would be catastrophic of course'.