Chapter 7: Traditional Culture Research Club

Kiyotaka POV

It's already been a week after my game with Itsuki— a troublesome underclassmen. She's spending all of her break time inviting me on another game saying things like "I'll beat you this time!", or sometimes provocating me by saying "You're just scared that your reputation will plummet down if you lose."

That's right, my reputation as a second-year transfer student here at Hyakkaou Private Academy immediately skyrocket after defeating a member of the council. I've been the talk of the students since then. Talking about how I easily defeated her in only a few rounds without breaking a sweat.

It was troublesome, especially the girls asking me out to eat with them. And of course, the guy's who can only glare at me from afar. They don't even have the guts to confront me head-on, so thinking about them is a waste of time.

But, this is just the first step

I'm still on the starting line. I haven't even started to try to increase my reputation. What happened back there is only luck. I can say it myself that I only got lucky. I wouldn't know what the outcome will be if I didn't end that then and there.

Anyway, I'm only getting started. It goes without saying that I'm known by the same grade as me and the underclassmen, but I'm still an unknown entity by the third grade in general. Only a few of them heard about me, but every time I passed by an upperclassmen, they're only giving me a glance, then back to their way.

It's as if I'm just a mere student who got lucky.

Well, they are right, though. So I won't really mind if they ignore me.

In fact, I'll prefer it that way.

But my goal contradicts what I desire

My father and my goal never once saw eye to eye. Even back then, he wanted me to drop out, while I want to maintain my peace back in ANHS. I always follow his order, even back then in that cold, sterile room.

And I'm doing it again. Always following his order like a mere dog. Well, I'm made to be this kind of existence, and going against it is futile. If I took the path of unknown, I will once and for all, finally break.

But, this time around, fot the first time.

For what miracle someone gave to me.

What we wanted to get matched

I can't really say that we 'want the same thing'. It's more like what we desire for will benefit the other party. In short it's a win-win game.

He wants to spread his name to gain more supporters to upgrade the system of White Room. He already have, to be perfectly honest. But that alone is not enough. It may be well-maintained, but the tools and all won't last forever, especially if not handled properly.

That's why, out of all the choices he have, he decided to gain the support of this school— No, more like to gain the support of the 'Momobami household'— who's running the school itself.

( Wait, is that right? Well, whatever. If it's not, then it is now. )

And he can't really blackmail them, can he? The Momobami household are powerful and known in the industry. They have billions of yen behind their backs. They can acquire anything they desire, just say a word and it'll be yours.

Even if that man looks merciless, and doesn't play fair... Wait, forget about it. He really don't play fair. Anyway, his only way for gaining their support is attracting their attention to a perfect product, much like how a vendor sell its product by promoting first.