Chapter 9: The Calm Before The Storm

Oh right, I forgot.... I'm still an author.

Tee hee.

Kiyotaka POV

I watched the retreating back of Saotome in silence. Her shoulders slumped from her sides. She looks exhausted, of course, as she just received piles of problems in her head.

Her lost to Yumeko and her current debt. The never ending discrimination from the people who resented her. And now, her loss to Nishinotouin and another huge amount of money has been added on her tab. It's not an exaggeration to say that her life is over.

Saotome ended up losing. It was a shame. Even I myself didn't knew such a twist in a game exists. Personally, I think it's clever of them to think of such an original rule, replacing the normal 2 dice of a Chouhan bakuchi into 10 swords. Even coming up with the risk of plus and minus depending on the state of the sword.

"Well then, now that the annoyance has been cleared away..." Nishinotouin stood up and faced us after gently swiping the dusts from her kimono away. "Jabami-san and Ayanokoji-kun, is it? I have heard great things about you two. Welcome to the Traditional Culture Research Club." She greeted us in a calm and composed tone that is soothing to the ear.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Yumeko replied back with a smile.

Normally, I would've just nod my head in response on a greeting from a person I don't personally know. But since Nishinotouin gave off a good first impression and a gentle demeanor, I said the exact same thing as Yumeko said.

"What would be your intention today?" she stopped upon saying those words. "...would be quite a silly question to ask, no?" She continued.

It was obvious that no ordinary or normal student usually go to this place. After all, this was the hunting ground and the arena of the student council. Even the most broke student with a large sum of debt can only gamble in this place once. So seeing students gathering here is totally not normal.

Or so I have deducted. But it seems that visitors nowadays is already a norm. Having some spectators wouldn't really hurt after all.

"Todays gamble... We of the club call this [ Life or Death ]." she gestured her right hand on the board placed on the floor. "How is it? Would you battle me once?" She asked.

I sense no hostility towards us from Nishinotouin. But I feel something isn't right here. From our appearance, to Saotome's lost, to Nishinotouin asking us for a gamble.

It feels like this is planned all from the start.

"Life or death, is it?" Yumeko rested her chins on her fingers, thinking of a decision. "It's possible to win more money than you bet, is it not?"

It was 100 million yen for stakes, and a loss of 496 million yen in the end. It was a game with a really high stakes, something a coward with no sense of thrill wouldn't agree to play.

The risk is just too high. Someone with no money wouldn't have the guts to play such an absurd game. However, if your luck is great, the money you will earn upon winning is also massive.

Well, that's just how gambling works, right? I haven't seen anyone gamble yet without having more risk than the reward. It's obvious that the risk weighs more than the actual winning prizes.

"It seems interesting!" Yumeko immediately answered in an excited tone. "Yes please, let's play!"

I knew it. It was obvious that Yumeko will be drawn right into it after witnessing the game. By the looks of it, this game will only bring me with nothing but piles of problem. The risk is definitely much higher than the previous gambles I've seen before, and I'm not willing to just throw away my freedom upon being a pet in the chance that I lose.