Chapter 15: Telling Jokes

Chill chapter...for me it is sooo

No more words from yours truly except for this. :)

~ ~ ~ ~

Kiyotaka POV

Late afternoon

A few minutes after the school bell dismissed the entirety of the Academy, I was walking down the corridor when someone patted me in the back.

I'm not expecting anyone to interact with me this late in the afternoon, and I'm pretty sure I have no plans with anyone either.

"Hey, Senpai!"

It was Sumeragi Itsuki- a first year student of Hana class, the same class as mine.

We recently played together in a card game called Double memory. It's been a few weeks since then, and this is her first time approaching me after that game.

So, I can't really call her a friend of mine. Just a simple underclassmen that I'm quite familiar with.

"What's up?"

"Uhmm...the ceiling?"

"That's a pretty old joke, even for someone like me."

And I have to say, that joke doesn't quite suit her either.

"Oh c'mon! What's that supposed to mean? I may not look like it, but I'm much more familiar with old jokes compared to the new ones."

"Why do you sound like you're boasting?"

"Because I am boasting." She puffed her chest as she put her hands on her hips. "You see, this new and trendy jokes that I'm seeing lately just makes me cringe. I mean, they're pretty hilarious if you think about it, but still."

I wasn't expecting that I'll be talking about this kind of thing to an underclassmen, so I'm pretty much surprised. And to think that me, who is not really familiar with jokes in general, will talk about this to a girl I'm not close with.

I have to admit that this whole situation still feels surreal.

"What kind of new jokes are you talking about anyway? Can you give me an example?"

I can't really tell the difference between an 'old' joke and a 'new' one.

I guess that's just society reminding us that as times goes by, jokes that are made a few years or decades ago will be deemed as an old one.

Or maybe they meant 'old' because it has been used for so many times now that it's not funny anymore.

For instance, if you take me as an example, who only knows basic knowledge about this kind of thing, I wouldn't know the difference between the two if you were to tell me one.

I probably won't laugh, but I can understand why people will laugh at it, at least.

If that were the case, wouldn't you prefer to hear new jokes over the old ones because they haven't been used that much?

Normal people are very familiar with things like this after all.

"Hmm, I guess things like phrasing with more than one meaning?"

Phrasing with more than one meaning?

"It seems like you're still confused, senpai." We stopped walking. I signaled her for us to sit down in a nearby bench.

I figured this conversation will take a while, so I might as well sit down and relax while she's talking.

"Allow me to give you an example."