Chapter 10: Strawberry Milkshake

Rose's Diner appeared as a remnant of the '50s, with flashing neon signs, wide brightly-lit windows, and chess-patterned floors, as Robin drove up. It was located close to campus and was a regular hang-out spot for students, drawn there by the cheap snack food and tasty milkshakes. Robin had never been inside before, as most of the social side of student life had passed him by, but he'd happily gone along with Tyler's suggestion to meet there.

As the car door closed behind Robin, he swallowed hard and prepared to walk inside. Visiting new places always caused him anxiety as he didn't know exactly what to expect. Hopefully, Tyler was already inside, waiting for him.

A bell rang to announce his entrance when Robin stepped inside. The sound made his heart jump and he nervously looked around. The diner was about half-full and most of the guests appeared to be students, enjoying a lazy Sunday evening before the hustle and bustle of school started again the next morning.

"Welcome to Rose's Diner!" the waitress, who looked like she had stepped right out of Grease, greeted him in a chirpy voice. "Are you here by yourself or meeting up with someone?"

"I'm meeting someone," Robin mumbled as his eyes scouted out the kitschy interior in search of blonde curls.

"Robby! Come here!" the voice came from the back of the restaurant and filled him with joy. Soon a familiar mop of hair peeked out from one of the booths.

"That's my... friend," Robin explained, even though that was maybe not the right word, and hurried over toward Tyler. Toward safety, joy, and freedom.

On the table in front of Tyler stood several milkshakes and platters of snacks. French fries, onion rings, mozzarella sticks. Enough to feed a football team, or one bottomless pit of a blonde boy.

"I didn't know which flavor of milkshake you liked," Tyler said, flicking his hair away from his face. "This one is strawberry."

A glass with pink frothy liquid was put in front of Robin. He took a sip and felt the sweet flavor conquer the bitterness lingering on his taste buds from the encounter with his mom. "Strawberry is good." He managed to produce a smile.

"I also have vanilla, chocolate, and banana," Tyler explained and grabbed a handful of french fries and stuffed them in his mouth before he took a sip from the vanilla-flavored milkshake.

"Have you... been here long?" Robin noted that several plates on the table were already empty.

"About half an hour. My cousin Lance was heading out anyway so I hitched a ride with him." Tyler shrugged. "I don't drive... currently."

Probably unconsciously, Tyler's eyes peered down toward where his left leg used to be.

"I can drive you home later," Robin offered. "So you don't have to rely on your relatives." He received a grateful nod in reply.

Robin took another sip of his milkshake and Tyler grabbed another handful of food. They sat in silence for a moment. But it was a comfortable silence. A communal silence of understanding.

"So..." Tyler started. "Do you want to talk? About your mom, I mean?" He twirled a french fry between his fingers. "Or not talk?" he added. "Either is fine by me."

"I-I," Robin stuttered. "I don't know where to start. "

Robin stirred the pink beverage while he pondered what to say. But before he could find the words to describe what had gone down with his mother, Tyler blurted out: "My mom left me and my sister."

Eyes wide from surprise, Robin looked up from his milkshake. He'd imagined Tyler being part of a perfect loving family, but that seemed far from reality.