Bonus Chapter: Valentine's Day Chocolate

Author's Note: This is a republish of the Valentine's Day chapter I wrote last year (slightly edited) because I didn't have time to write a new chapter but I realized not all readers would have been able to read this one. So here is Robin's and Tyler's first Valentine's Day together!

Robin was completely spent when he pulled up to Tyler's house. After finishing his classes for the day, he'd driven directly to the movie theater. Valentine's Day was after all a prime business day for this workplace. Everyone wanted to take their loved one out for a romantic dinner and an accompanying movie.

Robin wished he'd been able to do the same.

Instead, he'd checked tickets, cleaned up sticky soda stains, and been yelled at for not waiting to start a movie until late visitors had arrived.

This was not how he'd wanted to spend his first Valentine's day with Tyler.

Miraculously, the driveway outside the house that Tyler shared with his cousin was empty. It was the first thing that actually went right for Robin this Valentine's day. At least he wouldn't have to try to parallel park on the snowy streets.

This meant that Lance wasn't home, as his car usually occupied the spot. He'd probably chosen to spend Valentine's Day at Tallulah's place. This meant that Tyler and Robin would have the house all to themselves and get up to pantsless shenanigans without having to worry about being too loud.

Unfortunately, Robin wasn't quite in the mood for such shenanigans right now. His limbs ached from being on his feet all day, his shirt smelled of grease and stale soda, and his head throbbed from the constant noise of the movie theater. Thinking about it, he hadn't drunk anything in a few hours, and all he'd had for dinner was a small bucket of popcorn between showings. The lack of fluid and proper nutrition probably contributed to the headache as well.

Before exiting the car, he leaned over to grab a bouquet of red roses and a heart-shaped box of chocolates from the passenger seat. Robin had hastily run out to buy the items while Tristan covered for him at the theater. The gifts were cheesy and stereotypical for the occasion, but at least he'd managed to get something, even if the meager offerings didn't feel representative of his immense feelings for Ty.

Ty deserved more. He deserved bells and whistles. He deserved fireworks and serenades. He deserved the world. And Robin wanted to give it all to him.

He just didn't have the time or energy today.

With the subpar gifts in hand, he slammed the door shut to finally head inside to Tyler.

And he fell headfirst into a snow pile. The roses shattered and the chocolates sank into the frozen white surface.

"Fuck," he swore. Robin almost never swore. His mom hadn't allowed him to.

Looking back, he realized a string from his jacket was stuck in the closed car door. That was the reason for his tumble. He'd managed to mess everything up. He couldn't save Valentine's day now.

Defeated and shivering, Robin brushed snow off his jeans and got up. He let the roses and chocolates lay where they'd landed. He wasn't about to present a snow-covered mess to his amazing boyfriend.

Hopefully, Ty would understand. They could redo Valentine's Day another day. Because this day obviously wasn't Robin's day. This day he just wanted to end.

When he reached the front door, something on the door caught his attention. A card, decorated with a giant pink heart--perhaps painted by Emmie--dangled on the handle. Robin pulled the card off and opened it to read what was written inside.

The words weren't neatly written--capital letters alternated with lowercase letters in a half-legible mess--but they were perfect.

Robin opened the door to reveal a trail of rose petals showing him the way. He kicked off his boots and hung up his jacket to follow the floral path.

As he walked, a love song started to play, mixing sweet nothings with chirping birds.

(This is the song I imagine was played, which is part of my playlist for writing this story)

In the kitchen, Robin was met by his valentine. Glittery pink hearts adorned Tyler's cheeks, making it look like an Instagram filter had been applied to his perfect face.

"Hi..." Robin said, suddenly shy toward his boyfriend for three months. Sometimes, he just had trouble believing their relationship was true. Especially when Tyler looked so damn pretty. Robin's cheeks blushed and his heart rate sped up at the mere sight as he felt as infatuated as the very first time he saw Tyler in the student counseling office. Little did they know then everything they would be now.

"Hi," Tyler replied, lighting up into a smile that somehow made him look even prettier. It should be illegal to be that pretty. "Happy Valentine's Day, Robby."

The next moment, perfect lips pressed softly against Robin's. Everything was alright in the world once again.

"I bought you gifts..." Robin mumbled. "Roses and chocolate. It fell in the snow."

"That's alright, cutie," Tyler assured him with pecks on alternating cheeks. "Although... that chocolate might still be good." For a moment, it looked like he pondered if he should go outside to try to salvage the chocolate. "Nevermind. I made dinner for you."

With the dramatic flair of a stage actor, Tyler swooshed his hand to reveal a feast on the kitchen table. Chicken pot pie and caramel squares decorated with red jelly hearts. Robin's stomach growled at the mere sight. This was much better than popcorn for dinner.

"Did you make this yourself?" he asked Tyler, astounded that his boyfriend has hidden his cooking abilities for so long.

"Mostly," Ty replied with a coy smile. "Miss Horn helped... quite a lot. But I was in the kitchen the whole time!" He draped himself across Robin's back as they both admired the assortment of food. "Do you like it?"

Robin could easily picture how the cooking session had gone down. Tallulah cooked while Tyler spun around on his spinny chair next to her, talked her head off about soccer, and got first dibs on tasting.

"It's perfect," Robin assured his boyfriend and leaned to the side for a kiss. "Absolutely perfect."

"Just like you, Robby," Tyler replied and returned the kiss.

This was definitely Robin's day. Just like every day with Tyler. With him, every day was Valentine's Day.

Hope everyone reading this have a lovely Valentine's day!

And yes... Tyler did probably go salvage those chocolates from the snow pile eventually :)