Part 27

~Sam POV~

There is a knock on my office door. 

"Enter."

"Sir, there's a disturbance at the main gate."

I look up at the private standing in my doorway.

"And?"

"It's the 'Jungle guy.' He doesn't have clearance to come on base. He is asking for you, Sir."

I am already heading out the door with him, heading towards the main gate. 

"Gabrielle Sawyer has clearance, why didn't she come get me?"

Better yet why didn't she just call me and tell me they were back. I was starting to get worried, but they weren't technically late yet so I had no reason to call her. 

"He's alone."

It's like an electric shock to my chest. 

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE IS ALONE?"

I take off, running as fast as my legs will carry me. What did he do to her?!? I knew this was a horrible idea. By the time I get there a small crowd has gathered due to Tumaini's aggressive show of annoyance with the guards. Thank God he was holding back and not being arrested before I got there. 

"Ok everyone calm down."

I glare at him. He rushes up to me but I don't back down. I swear this grown ass man just growled at me. 

"I need your help...someone took her."

I could tell it was painful for him to say this to me. At the same time I'm sure the color drained from my face. 

"What do you mean? Where is Gabie?"

"We were in the jungle and we were attacked. They took her!"

I took a deep breath, focus, if I lose it I will be no help to her. I turn to the guards and tell them he is allowed entrance, he was with me. I led him straight to my office because it was closer than my apartment. I just need to get somewhere so he can explain and I can get her back. I knew I never should have let her go back into the jungle with him.

He paced back and forth, clearly not happy about being in here. 

"Ok tell me everything that happened."

I watched as he calmed himself and turned towards me. 

"We were on our way back. We went a more direct way instead of detouring to the crash site. The jungle got quiet, too quiet. We stopped so I could listen and figure out the reason for it. At first I just thought a large cat or something was close by but this was different. Before I could do anything, something hit Jane. She fell asleep and men came out of the brush. I tried to protect her. But while I was fighting, they took her. I got away."

"You just left her?!" I snapped at him.

"Of course not. Once they decided to give up on finding me I followed them. They have her in some camp type thing in the jungle. There were too many men and they were armed. I need your help getting her back."

"Can you show me on a map where she is?"

"Will this help?"

He hands me the GPS. I plug it into my computer and have every point Gabie saved. I showed him the map. He points just a little farther west of the last point.

"That's where we were attacked...so the camp would be about here." 

"Shit!"

I look at the map and it's a familiar area. He looks at me with a questioning look. 

"I know the area. We have been monitoring some movement around there, illegal mining. I'll get a unit together now if you can get us there."

"I can get us there." He nods.