Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

Evangeline PoV:

Now:

The minute the word okay slipped through my mouth I knew I was going to regret it. There was a deep feeling of dread sinking to the bottom of my stomach but the moment I saw his reaction I knew I had made the right decision.

His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and as I guided him to my car he had an extra hop in his step. When he had asked his shoulders had been slightly slumped and tense like he was holding the world on his shoulders but now as I look at him his shoulders were no longer slumped but relaxed like all his problems had just floated away.

As we drove to the diner there was complete silence. The type that would usually make me squirm in my seat from the tension. I looked straight ahead in fear of looking over and being caught in his gaze, however, it didn't seem Scott felt the same. My skin prickled as I felt another stare on the side of my head, it was a constant on and off feeling throughout the ride.

When we finally arrived at Janice's I couldn't help the little sigh of relief that slipped out from my lips. The minute I parked I was out of the car and walking to the diner hearing Scott stumble next to me as he quickly tried to catch up to my fast pace.

As I entered the diner the familiar jingle of the bells on the door was heard. She scanned the area for a table. The place was filled with different types of people, some maybe just home from work others on their lunch break. The soft music coming from the jukebox set the atmosphere. I noticed that somehow there were already people from our school here.

Finally, after taking in my surroundings I noticed a two-seater table was free by the window. I grabbed Scott by the elbow and dragged him over to the free table before someone else could arrive and steal it.

The silence was deafening. All the noises that had been so apparent had faded into white noise. This was the first time I had truly felt uncomfortable as we looked at each other across the table. We sat in silence for what felt like hours. As time passed by not a word slipped from either of our lips. The silence became too much and before I knew it I was speaking.

"Scott, why am I here?" I asked, fed up. As the question slipped from my lips Scott seemed to snap out of the trance he was in and looked at me confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Well we have been here for fifteen minutes now and neither of us have said a word. You wanted to talk to me so... talk." I finished. There was a glint of understanding in his eyes as he realized why I was so frustrated.

"Why do you hate me?" Scott blurted out, getting straight to the point.

My eyes practically doubled in size at the question. My voice getting lost in my throat. It was so sudden that I practically got whiplash. As I looked into his puppy eyes I couldn't help the guilt that started to build. I had ignored him just like my friends had ignored me. Sure we hadn't been best friends but I couldn't imagine how he must have felt watching me talk to everyone but him. He probably thought it was his fault when in reality it was mine for letting my trust issues get in the way of a potentially great friendship. I must have been in my head for a lot longer than I thought because he started to talk again.

"It's just that you talk to everyone but me and I wanted to say sorry if I offended you in some way. It's killing me not knowing what I did to upset you. We may not be friends but I don't want to have upset you in any way." Scott rambled with sincerity.

He was so sincere and my heart practically swelled at his selflessness. He wasn't mad at me for ignoring him as most would be. He wasn't fishing for an apology. It shocked me because as I looked at him I realized that he felt guilty. HE felt guilty for something he had no control over. I had been so focused on how I felt I didn't even begin to imagine how he felt.

"Scott, I don't hate you." I spoke honestly, making the confusion on his face increase ten-fold.

"But-" Scott started to speak before I interrupted.

"No! Listen. Scott where I used to live something happened that made me gain trust issues and a lot of them. My friends who were practically my family turned on me. I was alone and sad. They hurt me so much after everything we had gone through together and when I came here I planned on being alone. Scott, I don't hate you but you remind me of things from where I was before and it scares me. It scares me so much because I feel like I should trust you. I'm sorry for making you feel as if this was your fault when in reality it's mine for being the way I am." I finished taking a deep breath after and kept my head down afraid to look up and see his reaction.

The tension stayed for a few more moments and just as I was about to leave I felt a hand grip my chin and make me lookup.

"Don't ever feel sorry for something like that." Scott spoke with a reassuring smile that made me practically melt back into my seat. I could tell he had questions about what I said but I honestly wasn't in the right frame of mind to answer them and so with a little cough as well as wiping away the tear that had somehow made its way down my face during my explanation I diverted the topic.

"So what are you ordering then?" I spoke. I could tell by the way Scott was looking at me he knew I was diverting the topic but thankfully he didn't push the topic.

_____

We stayed there for a couple hours and I couldn't have been happier. We learned a lot about each other and I had actually found out that I got the job here which was great. By the time we left it was 8 o'clock at night. The air was a lot cooler, making me shiver. Scott seemed to notice because before I knew it he had given me his coat.

"Scott, it's fine what if you get cold." I asked worriedly. He just sent a reassuring smile my way. and After a brief bit of arguing I was left with the jacket wrapped around my shoulders.

The car journey was a lot different than the one there. We talked and laughed the whole time.

"Scott I know you said not to be sorry about what happened but I am, I shouldn't have been so cruel." I spoke honestly. It was clear he could tell I wasn't going to stop apologising any time soon.

"It's okay I forgive you." He said back with a laid back smile on his face. I was about to once again change the subject when suddenly-

"EVANGELINE WATCH OUT!!" Scott shouted, making me look at the road to see a figure in front of us. I swerved only to crash into one of the many trees that surrounded us.

Then all I saw was...

Black.

Third PoV:

The figure crept up to the car and slowly opened it, the contents of the car bringing a smirk to their lips as not only Evangeline but what appeared to be her friend were in the car passed out. Taking action the figure grabbed both of them and walked into the forest, the same smirk present on their lips.

(A/N: Hey guys!!! I am so so sorry for the lack of updates. I got COVID really bad and have only now gotten better. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are excited about the next one. Sorry for the Cliff-hanger but I couldn't resist.)