Chapter 12 - Obstacle Course

"And now a word from the first year student representative! Midoriya Izuku!" Midnight announced, calling Izuku to the stage. Everyone was watching as the green head walked past his fellow students, walking up the steps and onto the stage. He could hear cheering and yelling from the stadium, making him glance up and instantly find the booth his family was in. Hisashi went a little overboard, buying up an entire block for the children he raised and was still raising that wanted to come and support Izuku. Which was of course everyone...

Izuku's face heated up in embarrassment as he lowered the mic. He just hoped they would behave themselves today... With a deep breath, he started talking.
"Thank you all for coming here today to watch a new generation of students give it their all in order to become the best people we can be. We'll show you what we're capable of... To go beyond and plus ultra!"

Everyone cheered at that, making Izuku sigh in relief, a smile plastered to his face. Thank God he said the right words! He wouldn't want to kick off the sportsfestival in an awkward manner...
"Now, as for the first round-!" Midnight continued as Izuku walked off stage again.
"-An obstacle course!"

She explained the course as the students made their way to the starting line. When the start signal was given, Todoroki almost instantly froze everyone's feet to the ground, some of his classmates jumping up, expecting this kind of move. Izuku had made himself float with his telekinesis while Katsuki shot himself up using his explosions.
"You're not gonna get me with that lousy trick icyhot!" Katsuki exclaimed, a grin on his face. Izuku rolled his eyes, releasing his telekinesis and sliding along the ice.

He shouldn't overuse his quirk right off the bat. The announcer said something about robots before he was almost hit by a giant zero pointer. What?! Izuku jumped back, now seeing the three zero pointers blocking his way. Was this the first obstacle? Are they crazy?! This isn't only the hero course! There are other students here too! What if they get hurt or injured?! Izuku sighed, guess that's where Recovery Girl comes in huh? Still, UA was way too reckless with their students simply for the entertainment of others...

"Out of my way extras!" Katsuki yelled, making Izuku look up at the sky. He was flying over the robots while one was frozen. Always the smart one, aren't you Kacchan? Izuku picked up a piece of the robot's armor, holding onto it in case he ran into any troubles later on. The next part was a ravine, making Izuku stop dead in his tracks. Seems like Todoroki and Kacchan are already on the other side huh... Time to catch up! Izuku used his telekinesis on the robot part, making it fly.

It was less exhausting to make other things fly instead of himself, so he used that to make his way across the ravine, basically surfing over the heads of his opponents. People with the ability to fly certainly had an advantage in this race according to Izuku. That thought was only confirmed more when he arrived at the next obstacle, a minefield. He didn't fly all the way over here though, just the ravine. Because Izuku may be the holder of All For One, he is also just a teenager and his body has its limits.

Besides, he didn't want to come across as overpowered on international television. Izuku stopped in his tracks when he arrived at the minefield, seeing Kacchan and Todoroki had ran halfway across the field already. They had to be careful, yet they were still fighting among themselves. Izuku could fly over to them if he wanted to, but he had to hold himself to the limitations he set for himself. If his skill level differed too much from the quirk apprehension test they took the first day, it would raise questions for sure.

No, he had to be smarter about this... Maybe help his quirk a little..? A smile came to his lips when he saw someone get pushed around by the small explosive mines. There were a lot of those at the start since everyone was being way too careful at first. One mine might not cause a lot of damage, but there is power in numbers, isn't there? Izuku's smile turned into a grin. Ah yes, he liked this plan~